Ridge tiles

Why don't we have "continuous ridge coverings" a bit like Guttering or Valley Troughs?

Wooden roofs have some flexing due to being made of wood - yet we cover them in tiles that are cemented. It doesn't make sense!

Reply to
John

Basically weight, ridge tiles are made out of clay or concrete. Lifting them on a roof by manual labour is out of the question, Man handling them while bedding one is likely to cause more damage to the body and to the roof covering.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Cemented ridges and verges are not always used these days. Molded plastic parts with rubber seals to allow flexing are becoming more common.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Basically weight, ridge tiles are made out of clay or concrete. Lifting them on a roof by manual labour is out of the question, Man handling them while bedding one is likely to cause more damage to the body and to the roof covering.

Not many people will bed on ridge tiles any more ..... dry-fix is the normal approach, also if you require ridge ventilation it's easiest way to achieve it.

Reply to
Rick Hughes