Ricky Tomlinson gas ad.

My Parents live beyond mains water supplies by about a mile. They have two wells one of which was dug about 150 years ago and one dug* about 40 years ago as the original could not keep up with modern family demands in a dry Summer.Both are still active as far as abstraction licence or whatever it is called is concerned. The older one is kept to supply the vegetable garden. During a drought situation a few years ago the water authority sent up helicopters to spot people breaking their hose pipe ban and my Mother must have been observed because a little chap turned up in a van and started to read the riot act. Apparently he got a little embarrassed when she suggested that a study of his employers pipe plans would go not go amiss.

  • Dug in this case meant chipping in rock a hole about 8ft diameter to a depth of 15ft by hand with an iron bar and shovel. Father did it at intervals over a 3 year period and I was old enough to be dragged in to help. Something I like to remind my younger brother and sister whose arrivals were partly responsible for the increase in water demand. It would have been nice to have some of the equipment it's possible to hire now available then .Some jobs have become much easier to d i y since hire shops have become established.

G.Harman

Reply to
g.harman

On 04 Jan 2004, Michael McNeil wrote

Par for the course for him, I'd have thought.

Tomlinson is the guy who ripped into John Prescott when the latter said "Look: I've got fancy cars, a big salary and a couple of large houses. For me to claim to still be "working class" is fooling nobody." That seemed an honest assessment, but Tomlinson's line was that "once working class, always working class: people don't change; he's trying to get above himself".

Then people found out Tomlinson had, in a previous incarnation, been a member of the National Front.

At first he just refused any interview which raised the issue, then he started waffling about how he'd been young; didn't really understand these things at the time; it was a long time ago; he stopped being like that, etc, etc.

Puffing BG is nothing compared to claiming he's changed entirely but nobody else can possibly have changed over the years..

At least he's consistent in his hypocracy.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

As is every large company's IT systems.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Sounds like most others I have seen.

Reply to
IMM

I glanced his book in WH Smiths. He said he forgot the NF when he realised it wasn't immigration that was the root problem of the country. The NF is/was a one issue party. If you see 1000s of immigrants flooding into your city, and living around you, to keep labour cost down, you might do something drastic too.

He is wrong. Millions of working class people have no connection, especially culturally, with their working class roots.

Reply to
IMM

Can I persuade you (and others) to SNIP in 2004? Ploughing through all the above just to look at 7 words from you is a pain in the arse, up with which, in the coming year, I have decided not to put. Just select the text and hit the delete key. Please! Common courtesy isn't it?

Reply to
stuart noble

Yes, usually isolating teh single line completely out of context to make a point about something completely unrelated.

So you are a castration expert then?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As part of my 2004 Get a Life resolution, I'm through with scrolling newsgroup messages. If the OE visible window is full of ">" I skip to the next message. Come to think of it, if l reduce the window size, I could skip more, and get even more of a life.

Reply to
stuart noble