Ricky Tomlinson gas ad.

The bloke spent time in gaol for his political beliefs. Apparantly he was "done" by the system.

Now he's advertising on behalf of the worst creature of Thatcherism.

Why would he drag a party of drips to a remote cottage when, if they have gas it will be LPG?

Why is he offering insurance terms with rates that seem criminal? For £15 a month plus interest, how long would it take to save up for a complete new system?

Reply to
Michael McNeil

I love the one where they trek half way up a mountain to read a meter and then realise the shouldnt be there

I would have loved to see them putting in the trench for that one ??

does this mean that the writings on the wall for calor

moehne

Reply to
crimp

Always makes me think of the "That's Life" epic on "We've got no gas!"

Reply to
Bob Eager

Everyone's got to earn a living.

228 months.

--=20 Hywel I do not eat quiche

Hywel Jenkins

And how long is that guaranteed for?

Reply to
Michael McNeil

113 months. ;-)

Or 40 if you diy.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

And a very good job he's doing too. Any organisation that employs a bully like that (the character, not actor) as a teacher deserves to fail.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I don't think the character is a bully - he seems convinced that he's doing a great job of training the "cadets" really well.

Reply to
Hywel Jenkins

It would be interesting to see if the house they filmed actually had gas! Or even a phone line for them to connect up to the internet to read their own meter....

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

Is that the one where BGas kept sending bills to old folks home and threatening them for non-payment when the gas had been disconnected years before?

BGas were useless when in public ownership, even worse now. I have 3 documented cases of my own and family hassles with them. In all cases they admitted they were wrong.

  1. Tried to bill me for gas for a house I had sold 6 months previously. Their meter reader called on the day I moved out but they "lost" the reading.. They had to largely write that one off.
  2. For 12 months my aged ma-in-law was sent bills for the wrong meter in her semi-sheltered accommodation. I was there once when meter reader came and it was obvious he couldn't tell the difference between 25 and 28. Another loss for BGas.
  3. They have failed to bill another relative for electricity for a whole year where they should have been dual fuel supplier. They've just agreed £40+ compensation for this error. I think there were many customers affected by this and they were fined a whopping amount by Ofgen
Reply to
BillR

Quite frankly if the standard of training is 'may need to get wet' I am very uninmpressed - '101 imaginative locations for stop valves' or 'how to make that lump of rust no one's moved for 30 years cut the water' would be far better lesson plans.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

It probably wasn't even a house. The camera always lies...

Reply to
Huge

Similar - it was a private household in the case I remember. Got to the point where BG finally sent a man to read the meter....at which point householder scremed (in their little dramatisation) "We've got no gas!".

Reply to
Bob Eager

I should imagine the tabloids have already reasearched that one

You don't need a phone line for internet access and haven't for a long time. A mobile phone will do, or a satellite link or wireless. I have used the first, have the last and am aware of half a dozen or so sat links in this area (mind you don't know if they are pure satellite or just use the sat link for downstream data).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote | Mike Hibbert wrote: | > It would be interesting to see if the house they filmed | > actually had gas! | I should imagine the tabloids have already reasearched | that one

If this is the advert in question:

A SCOTTISH Gas TV advert which shows Ricky Tomlinson battling his way across a moor through wind and rain was actually filmed in Ireland, it emerged yesterday. The advert aims to promote the company's on-line meter-reading service.

Owain

Funny thing, advertising/endorsement revenue and principles. I lost all respect for Jamie Oliver when he became a puppet of Sainsbury's, quietly dropping his previous encouragements to use independent delis and markets and assaults on the supermarket's pursuit of fruit/veg aesthetics and uniformity at the neglect of flavour.

surely that particular accolade must surely go to Bliar.

'cos that's what some artistic media type thought would make good television.

If you get BG to supply the system, an awful long time......

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

A lot less than a Sergeant major.

Reply to
IMM

BGs admin pre-privatisation was all paper. Now with computer databases the wrongs can be virtually omitted. Remember they were the largest service organisation in the country serving 13 million consumers, with 13 million meters. The faults were always blow to high heaven by the right wing press. Now they have computers they are even worse.

Reply to
IMM

In typical B Gas style they have excellent training facilities.

Reply to
IMM

I have had the "privilege" of seeing their IT operation. Mainly at the Mitchum gas works site now ( The AA's computers are in there too). Its a shambles, a hodge-podge of different systems cobbled together with home-grown add-ons..

Reply to
BillR