Ricky Tomlinson gas ad.

Page 1 of 2
The bloke spent time in gaol for his political beliefs. Apparantly he was "done" by the system.
Now he's advertising on behalf of the worst creature of Thatcherism.
Why would he drag a party of drips to a remote cottage when, if they have gas it will be LPG?
Why is he offering insurance terms with rates that seem criminal? For 15 a month plus interest, how long would it take to save up for a complete new system?

I love the one where they trek half way up a mountain to read a meter and then realise the shouldnt be there
I would have loved to see them putting in the trench for that one ??
does this mean that the writings on the wall for calor
moehne

Always makes me think of the "That's Life" epic on "We've got no gas!"
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
Bob Eager wrote:

Is that the one where BGas kept sending bills to old folks home and threatening them for non-payment when the gas had been disconnected years before?
BGas were useless when in public ownership, even worse now. I have 3 documented cases of my own and family hassles with them. In all cases they admitted they were wrong. 1. Tried to bill me for gas for a house I had sold 6 months previously. Their meter reader called on the day I moved out but they "lost" the reading.. They had to largely write that one off. 2. For 12 months my aged ma-in-law was sent bills for the wrong meter in her semi-sheltered accommodation. I was there once when meter reader came and it was obvious he couldn't tell the difference between 25 and 28. Another loss for BGas. 3. They have failed to bill another relative for electricity for a whole year where they should have been dual fuel supplier. They've just agreed 40+ compensation for this error. I think there were many customers affected by this and they were fined a whopping amount by Ofgen

Similar - it was a private household in the case I remember. Got to the point where BG finally sent a man to read the meter....at which point householder scremed (in their little dramatisation) "We've got no gas!".
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

My Parents live beyond mains water supplies by about a mile. They have two wells one of which was dug about 150 years ago and one dug* about 40 years ago as the original could not keep up with modern family demands in a dry Summer.Both are still active as far as abstraction licence or whatever it is called is concerned. The older one is kept to supply the vegetable garden. During a drought situation a few years ago the water authority sent up helicopters to spot people breaking their hose pipe ban and my Mother must have been observed because a little chap turned up in a van and started to read the riot act. Apparently he got a little embarrassed when she suggested that a study of his employers pipe plans would go not go amiss.
* Dug in this case meant chipping in rock a hole about 8ft diameter to a depth of 15ft by hand with an iron bar and shovel. Father did it at intervals over a 3 year period and I was old enough to be dragged in to help. Something I like to remind my younger brother and sister whose arrivals were partly responsible for the increase in water demand. It would have been nice to have some of the equipment it's possible to hire now available then .Some jobs have become much easier to d i y since hire shops have become established.
G.Harman

her
tell
BGs admin pre-privatisation was all paper. Now with computer databases the wrongs can be virtually omitted. Remember they were the largest service organisation in the country serving 13 million consumers, with 13 million meters. The faults were always blow to high heaven by the right wing press. Now they have computers they are even worse.

IMM wrote:

I have had the "privilege" of seeing their IT operation. Mainly at the Mitchum gas works site now ( The AA's computers are in there too). Its a shambles, a hodge-podge of different systems cobbled together with home-grown add-ons..
<snip>

As is every large company's IT systems.
Tony

Sounds like most others I have seen.

IMM wrote in message ...

there
Can I persuade you (and others) to SNIP in 2004? Ploughing through all the above just to look at 7 words from you is a pain in the arse, up with which, in the coming year, I have decided not to put. Just select the text and hit the delete key. Please! Common courtesy isn't it?

which,
hit
I usually do in 90% plus of cases, you must have noticed. In fact, I am the greatest snipper there is. But do you read it from the top? I scroll down to where there are no ">" characters and read.

IMM wrote:

Yes, usually isolating teh single line completely out of context to make a point about something completely unrelated.
So you are a castration expert then?
IMM wrote in message ...

As part of my 2004 Get a Life resolution, I'm through with scrolling newsgroup messages. If the OE visible window is full of ">" I skip to the next message. Come to think of it, if l reduce the window size, I could skip more, and get even more of a life.

It would be interesting to see if the house they filmed actually had gas! Or even a phone line for them to connect up to the internet to read their own meter....

It probably wasn't even a house. The camera always lies...
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 17:55:35 GMT, Mike Hibbert wrote:

I should imagine the tabloids have already reasearched that one

You don't need a phone line for internet access and haven't for a long time. A mobile phone will do, or a satellite link or wireless. I have used the first, have the last and am aware of half a dozen or so sat links in this area (mind you don't know if they are pure satellite or just use the sat link for downstream data).
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Everyone's got to earn a living.