Revolving Hole Punch

I need to replace my revolving hole punch that has served me well for many years.

I've looked at several new revolving hole punches and they appear weak and crudely made. They all seem to have the same, poorly made, die-cast aluminium indexing wheel that is a bit random at locking the punches in position. I guess they are too cheap to be much good.

There are a couple of revolving hole punches on eBay described as 'heavy duty', but I'm not really convinced:

Can anyone recommend a robust, heavy duty revolving hole punch that I could buy?

Thanks,

Reply to
Interloper

That one looks much like the one the chap in the shoe repair shop used to make me a couple of new holes in my belt yesterday.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

By their very nature, they fall outside the term "heavy duty" . Either accept what you can get is going to be a bit cumbersome and not last forever or get the appropriate punches to use with a hammer and block of hardwood (into endgrain). You may try contacting the manfacturer of your current pliers and see if they will send you an anvil if that is all that is worn.

Last one I got was from Lidl, but has not been put to extensive use, it's a replacement for one that was lost and I don't particularly care how durable it is, I think it cost =A33. There's no aluminium bits on it, it's much like the one that disappeared except the new one is bright chromed. The index wheel is a stamped steel plate and the selector is spring steel. This is probably all that is required for making holes for belts and straps but if you are doing it professionally you should set up a proper table with a block set in for punching holes in conjunction with a guide plate for consistency of position.

Reply to
thirty-six

If you want a really top quality item with replaceable punches, lockable wheel and a nice feel I can recommend this;

from
have had mine now for twenty plus years, replaced a two tubes. Lovely bit of kit. What exactly are you going to use it for?

Johno

Reply to
johno

There was no sign of the manufacturer's name on the tool and one of the punch tubes had shattered (and it's not replaceable).

I've binned the broken punch and bought a new one, which is rubbish. It doesn't even index correctly.

Reply to
Interloper

Now that's more like it. It's a bit pricey at £76.34, so I guess it's made in the UK (the imperial dimensions give it away).

I only use my revolving punch occasionally to punch holes in leather, card or soft plastic (depending on what the current project is). I just like to have quality tools that I can rely on, especially tools that spare parts are available for, so they can be repaired.

Reply to
Interloper

chrome-plated plier under =A33 note that there is no plastic grips or other superfluous items, it is exactly what it is and no more. It's pressed out from steel plate and is a traditional tested pattern. I didn't have any problems with the old pair and I don't expect any problems with what I bought from Lidl. This looks remarkebly like those and the older pair before, I'm particularly looking at the grip area.

Reply to
thirty-six

Those revolving punch pliers look remarkably like my old pliers too - basic and reliable. They look very similar to the cheaper Osborne version (£18.25) as well:

The Amazon revolving punch pliers you found get good reviews. The main complaint seems to be that rather than chrome-plated, they are supplied painted orange!

The Draper Expert 63637 revolving punch pliers also get good reviews:

I'm spoilt for choice now!

Reply to
Interloper

If they were the same price, I'd go with the traditional pattern. I've used all types of pliers for too long. The curved handle is the ergonomic handle, not the plier with slide on plastic hand grips. If you are using them for an extended period, wear a leather glove. You've just been unlucky before to get a cutter that is overhardened and shattered. If you want a brand, also look at C.K.

Reply to
thirty-six

Ah - but was that to make the belt effectively longer :-( or shorter :-) ?

I've had a star punch for many years, made in England (!) by "Maun Industries", model 2230. It's all metal (i.e. no plastic handles) and has a reasonable indexing "click" for the different size cutters.

It's all reminiscent of primary school, where the teacher used the punch for...(I can't remember!)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

If it's from Maun, great. Over 40 years ago I bought two pairs of secondhand Maun side cutters from the local market (stamped "G.P.O."). I still have one pair, but lost the other. Absolutely first class.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Shorter. I am several kilos down since before Christmas - perhaps all the extra exercise I had walking around while sightseeing in Germany.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

C.S. OSBORNE & CO

125 JERSEY STREET HARRISON, N.J. 07029 - U.S.A

the imperial dimensions give it away :-)

Reply to
Peter Parry

Why do I want to see where these are made?

Reply to
stuart noble

"Peter Parry" observed:

Ah yes, manufactured by our cousins across the pond. Guess I should have researched it more thoroughly. I should also have remembered that the UK no longer has a manufacturing base.

I see the punch costs 75USD in the US, which is around 50UKP - then add the usual 50% mark-up for the UK...

Reply to
Interloper

It even looks nice in the picture!

Actually the whole sight is a delight, it includes stuff that I cannot even hazard a guess at the purpose.

Reply to
Newshound

not all decamped to Mexico or China.

Reply to
grimly4

Bought mine from Webers in the pre internet days, rep came round with a whole boot full of goodies. Not cheap I know, but you pays your money ......... Just about everything I have made by Osborne is top quality, good solid feel, well put together, nicely finished. If it is only for occasional use than probably a bit OTT, I used mine day in day out for over fifteen years, so certainly got my moneys worth! Johno

Reply to
johno

And it's still available, it seems ;-

docholliday