reviving putty

Can I use mineral oil to revive glazing putty which has started to dry out (but not completely set)?

It seems to work, as in a few drops gets things back to the right consistency - but I think it's linseed oil that I've heard recommended for this before, and I'm not sure if mineral oil will cause problems later on (assuming it allows the putty to harden at all)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

When I were a lad 'twas always linseed.

Reply to
brass monkey

Linseed oil reacts with air and forms a solid resin like material. Mineral oil would only ensure that the putty remains soft in perpetuity.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

exactly, dont do it

NT

Reply to
Tabby

OK, scratch that idea, then :-) Thanks!

J.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Interesting thought. Given the hardening and eventual cracking of linseed putty, maybe a non-setting version would be an improvement. That said, the mineral oil would probably just migrate to the surface and collect grime in perpetuity.

Reply to
stuart noble

Only in some senses perhaps: when I were a nipper the tea-leafs looked for new windows 'cos they could quietly remove the soft putty and lift out the glass.

Reply to
Robin

Blimey, there must have been things worth pinching in those days. While doing my contents insurance the other day, it occurred to me that individual items worth more than £1000 have I none. More than £100 precious little either

Reply to
stuart noble

That's cos you spend your money on wine, women, song and just waste the rest ;)

Reply to
brass monkey

I suspect you are looking at one example right now.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ