Reusing compression olives

Page 2 of 3

| > <<snipped>> X-10 amplifier that I bought | > in NHF. It's probably a collector's item by now... | | | Bought my first transistor at Fields - a red spot - for about 5/6d as I | remember, but that would have been about 1956 | |
If you've still got the receipt, I dare you to take it back and ask for a refund. :-))
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 19:48:43 -0000, BillR wrote:

As in 6 columns of ordinary LEDs or using 7 seg numeric LED displays?
I've thought about building one but for US$30ish blue LEDs and brushed Ali it wouldn't look as (I hate to use this word) cool.
A nixie tube clock I'd like to do, that can look a bit more Heath Robinson. B-)
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

More like Heathkit, for those who remember . ;-)
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

I do indeed.
When I was at school, I used to receive their catalogue at least once a year and there were all sorts of things in it which I coveted but couldn't afford.
Then I figured out that actually, from electronics magazines, I could adapt projects to do what I wanted, and that the components were (mostly) not that expensive.
So I made all manner of audio stuff, gadgetry and instruments to test it all.
Never did buy a Heathkit....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Yes.
I've been indulging a bit of a hobby by buying old test gear - mainly from ebay. Got a near mint valve Heathkit harmonic Distortion Meter and valve Voltmeter. Perhaps most of it was amateur owned so not kicked to bits.
Of course, these days you can buy a pocket Fluke meter that's just as good if not better than some of these things that cost thousands. But they're nice to look at and play with.
--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Not DIY, but John Lewis have a Westlclox "Jumbo" alarm clock, which has > 2" high red LED 7-segment displays, for 12.
Not 24-hr clock, so not *exactly* what I wanted, but nice nonetheless.
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Heathkits were a major part of my childhood. I was one of their test builders, and got to build (and then keep), all sorts of neat stuff. Free. All I had to do was make accurate notes on the construction, so that the kits and/or manuals could be amended before being released for sale.
Sheila
On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 10:11:27 -0500, S Viemeister

Well, well..
In Michigan?
I guess you've seen
http://www.heathkit-museum.com /
for reminiscence.?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Gosh - the Heathkit analogue computer. I recall being shown one of those during my HNC Electronics course in the early 70's. Never did figure out how one could use an analogue computer, digital made so much more sense.
A digital computer just asks a yes/no question at every junction, you just need to ask the right question. Whereas with an analogue computer you've got yes, no and every other damn possibility coming thru - not only does it make asking the question difficult but you can never figure whether the answer coming back is good or bad.
I suppose the Labour Party use an analogue computer to draw up their manifesto with regard to university fees.....
PoP

Of course, you can tailor the processing to get the answer you want
--
geoff

PoP wrote:

My Dad had one of those in his lab/workshop. I gave him an abacus, which he kept propped up at the side of the Heathkit monster - it tended to make people laugh.
Sheila
Andy Hall wrote:

Nope, never been there. My father was a consultant to Heathkit, on a monthly retainer, and they shipped the kits out to us.

Thank you! I wasn't aware of that site - my husband will enjoy it, as will my Mother.
Sheila

My much loved and lovely Heathkit clock is still going strong and is the living room clock 30-diddly years after I constructed it.
I was looking at Rugby-radio-linked clocks today and they still don't make one that I would want to replace the Heathkit with.

Vellerman (Maplin) do a rather nice kit - digital display, but not radio controlled, which uses individual LEDs to make up the approx 2" high display, so big enough to mount say high up in a room. And it has a remote control to make setting easy if you do mount it in an inaccessible place. It has loads of other functions rather than just being a clock, but I'm using it in toggle mode where it cycles between time date and room temperature.
Of course, you can buy such things ready made, but most are LCD to allow battery operation, so can't be seen in the dark.
It's pretty pricey, but I picked up mine off ebay at about 1/3rd of the Maplin price.
--
*Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 22:50:37 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

Here's a Nixie I'm working on at the moment
http://codesmiths.com/shed/clocks/nixie_wood_loose.jpg
(Haven't moulded the base yet, or assembled it)
Andy Dingley wrote:

Shouldn't it be in brown bakelite to be authentic reproduction?
"BillR" wrote in message

And have dekatron tubes for the display?
--
Andy

"BillR" wrote in message

Not when it's a replica of a 1910-ish Gustav Bros. mantel clock (although their was analogue clockwork)

At 24.46 inc VAT +PP, this is very expensive to use for the odd occassion. And only for 15mm too. I supose a similar price for the 22mm and more for a 28mm. Not cheap at all.

Supposedly a hacksaw. My opinion is that you're more likely to get success (and much more quickly) by reusing the old olive than hacking the pipe around. You can get proper olive removers, but they're expensive.

I think I may have misread the original question. Obviously, you reuse the olive if just retightening an old joint. I was thinking that the entire valve had been replaced. (i.e. replacing handwheel with TRV).
Christian.