Retrospective Building Regs on conservatory

I had an extension build in Oct 2005 which was granted without plannin

permission as a permissible development (PD). Indeed plannin permission was applied for but was not required and was allocated as PD

The kitchen back door and adjacent small window were removed and a RS installed in their place. The kitchen runs open plan into th conservatory. The conservatory has the requirement independent heatin control from the rest of the house.

The company which installed it has subsequently gone out of busines and it looks as though they neglected to get building regs for the ne RSJ etc. Although as the home owner I was/am responsible for ensurin they were in place.

I am aware that he can apply for retrospective Building Regs. Currentl I have no intention of moving but would like to get the reg sorted fo piece of mind

The question is how best is this done ?

I would imagine (i.e, guessing!) that the Building Reg inspector woul want to

a) see the RSJ is properly seated ? which means removing the plaste over the ends of the RSJ. But will they want the whole plastered are stripping out to view the whole thing ? b) want to see some sort of door separating the kitchen from th conservatory ? the regs state that this should be of exterior qualit (i.e, double glazed patio door) ? but in reality will an internal doo with partition wall suffice c) will they want to inspect anything else ? foundations/footings /

How best to should he play this ? Be completely up front and just ge the inspector in and ask for his advice. Or install a partition wal and door, strip the plaster off the ends of the RSJ and get him in ?

Clearly once the paper work is issued I will make it open-plan again s want to minimise costs involved

You advice would be very welcome

Thank

-- Cypermethrin

Reply to
Cypermethrin

Do you have any reason to suspectthe RSJ is inadequate? As you're not planning to sell, and the other compliance issues would only be done to please the BCO, why do anything?

If you have serious doubts about the structural integrity, then I would have thought that ensuring the RSJ was correctly sized and seated would be of great concern, regardless of building regs.

Reply to
dom

You need to ask them.

No it will not. You need that to meet the insulation requirements.

You will have to ask them.

Since you are going to have to work with the building inspector it usually pays to be open and honest with them. Simple applied psychology really because they have a job to do. Ask him what he needs to pass the work.

Why? That will immediately invalidate the Building Regulations approval and you will have to reinstate it and meet the regulations current when you come to sell the house. That is likely to cost even more.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland