retaining ring things wtf are they called?

Like a thin washer with serrated inner diameter that you push over a shaft to retain something on it. From memory they are dished slightly on one face (the side that goes on first) so that the serrated bits bite into the shaft material.

Must be dirt cheap but can I find em on eBay?!

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Star washer?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Starlock ?

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

Yes that's the monkey

Reply to
Lobster

Part of the large family known collectively as pingfuckits, of small things capable of converting their stored potential energy into kinetic energy in the blink of an eye, or sometimes if you're unlucky, without the blink of the eye...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

retain something on it. From memory they are dished slightly on one face (the side that goes on first) so that the serrated bits bite into the shaft material.

Circlip? Or is that something else?

Reply to
Frederick Williams

No I wanted some small ones for a tape deck a while back. Grr. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Everybody chucks them out. Well, I did.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

thassem ;>))

Many thanks Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Ah, the happy hours I've spent searching for circlips...

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Crown washer

Reply to
curious

The domed one sided starlock jobbies i've always had to remove come off quietly with not much fuss.... but the little bastards are bending their insides during that process, so they never want to go back on without a fight,

There's probably a proper tool to remove them in a re-useable condition, and a couple of screwdrivers wiggled about between them and the non rotating parts of the item isnt it.

Reply to
Gazz

don;t think so - images (off goggle) show a washer with an *outer* of serrations (presume to resist vibration from loosening parts?)

"starlock" is the first dead hit, tho there could be others?

Waht I want one for is to secure the pedal of a kids bike back onto the plain steel spindle - the original is capped with a chunky chromed "thimble sized" cap - for weather resistance perhaps? - when in place you wouldn't know it was a starlock undemeath....

Jim K Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

don;t think so - images (off goggle) show a washer with an *outer* of serrations (presume to resist vibration from loosening parts?)

"starlock" is the first dead hit, tho there could be others?

Waht I want one for is to secure the pedal of a kids bike back onto the plain steel spindle - the original is capped with a chunky chromed "thimble sized" cap - for weather resistance perhaps? - when in place you wouldn't know it was a starlock undemeath....

Jim K Jim K

-----

Prob'ly going to be this:

Georg von Krapp

caps-STAINLESS-STEEL-...

these be em

BUT I probly need a larger size.... is there another form of words for this style?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

these be em

BUT I probly need a larger size.... is there another form of words for this style?

Jim K

-----

I think 'starlock domed' are the best terms. Maybe this:

I think they're only available in even numbered mm sizes.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

to retain something on it. From memory they are dished slightly on one face (the side that goes on first) so that the serrated bits bite into the shaft material.

Not circlips, they are not whole circles. Sorry.

Reply to
Frederick Williams

Circlips need a groove in the bar to ping into... or a groove around the inside of a hole to ping out against, both types much prefer pingfuckiting across the garage of course,

Reply to
Gazz

Reply to
Bob Eager

Spire washer (as opposed to spire nut)?

Starlocks are Made in Birmingham by Baker and Finnemore:

Always worth trying the original manufacturer for samples, if you only need a few...

Reply to
Andy Wade