Result - pvc windows fitted - for info

We had a relatively good company fit our house with PVC windows. So now we match the rest of the street.

The windows themselves are reasonably well made, though each weld represents a weakness, and despite what the rep said, I doubt they are steel reinforced.

The measurements were poor in part. Some of the windows are 2cm too small. This isn't obvious because the shortfall is camaflauged with a uPVC strip.

Damaged areas of plaster inside the house are repaired by hiding with PVC strip. I would have replastered these areas.

The house has small lead covered roofs over the two front bay windows, separate from the main tiled roof. These are supported at the front by the windows, and at the back by an original timber joist. They haven't jacked one of the bay roofs up properly before removal/refitting windows, and it has dropped a bit at the front, and is now a slightly sloping roof.

Overview; visitors think they're nice, they look fine, won't let in the damp, are a lot warmer, but craftsmanship is lacking on close examination.

Tony

Reply to
tonyjeffs

Lacking is not the word I'd use, I'd say unacceptable. Many window co's dont seem to think that they should do plastering/making good,mainly becuase they can fish out a plastic strip and a gunk gun and blob it/cover it. This sounds like the typical rubbish job that is done is the majority of window replacements in this country.Perhaps you need to go here and read/post

antispam and add 670 after bra to email

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Does this compromise the insulation spec of the window ? Did they fill in the gap with foam, in which case it would probably be OK ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

That does not sound very good at all.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 13:20:22 +0100, tonyjeffs wrote (in article ):

Is that supposed to be a good thing?

This is a bodge. They should have measured properly and fitted the correct size. It sounds as though they just picked the nearest size.

This is completely unacceptable. They should have done the job properly.

Did you pay already? If it was by credit card or any other form of non-cash payment, now would be a good time to get the company back to do the job properly or withhold payments and discuss with the credit organisation.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
BeeJay