Restoring oak.

Thats the way to go but if its the 1930's? paneling in this situ then it would be a bugger to to take orf with a lot of making good putting back on.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sandblasting is a great way of ripping out the softer parts of the grain, while leaving the harder parts raised and roughened - if that's what you want then go ahead, but it should never be considered for "restoration" purposes.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It certainly would.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Skarsten don't do big scrapers. Sandvik do _big_ scrapers.

Friend of mine has a panelled room (sloped ceilings too) in a building which was allegedly built as a dairy. But it's either a Welsh priest-hole or else it was built by someone who normally did Chapels (and very finely he built it too). Now scraping the flat surfaces of that really was hard going - tried everything on it he did. In the end he got very attached to one particular top-end model of Sandvik scraper.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sandblasting is the only hope. In situ.

Not that expenisve - a few hundred only - use calcium carbonate for wood. Helluva mess afterwards. Strip area of EVERYTHING and expect to hoover ten times or so.

See yellow pages

If dismantled, caustic may work.

After blasting, it will be grain etched. Sanding will help for a newish look, or leave it etched for Ye Olde Worlde look.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had it done on some new ones after stupid builder painted thick varnish on them..

Came out well, but heavily grained. No trace of varnish left anywhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thtas why we used calcium carbonate. Not sand

It did etch, but that merely made the beams look older -

I agree, on delicate carvings, its a nono,but on flat old paneling, it will work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher