Restoring a magnet's strength

Even so, I used to need to remagnetise motors about once a year, especially if I was attending exhibitions with the models. I doubt any stroking with other magnets would help in the long term.

My memories of the Triang machine are of a *large* coil, which must have been several dozen Henrys in value on a horseshoe shaped soft iron clamp that closed onto the magnet end of the motor, while turning on a DC supply to the coil. The visible part of the whole thing was probably about the size of a food mixer. The field was strong enough to reverse the magnet's field if it was accidentally inserted upside down, with embarassing results next time the loco was used. The operator had to keep his watch well away even after it was turned off, too.

Reply to
John Williamson

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. I hadn't realised that the train's speed was limited by the back EMF rather than the torque on the engine - well ofc the back EMF reduces the current through the windings and hence the torque.

Reply to
GB

The better examples of modern digital control for model railways uses the BEMF in a closed loop feedback system to control the speed of the loco.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Having started this thread, and posted the link to my brother, my thanks to all who contributed.

Brother is not the world's greatest communicator - only when he wants something - so I don't know if he has taken on board the collective wisdom here; I hope he has as the Collective, as always has shown the breadth of its knowledge. Rob

Reply to
robgraham