Restoration Tosser

Just clicked though C4 on my way elsewhere and saw a resoration of a lath and lime plaster ceiling. Can anyone else confirm that I heard the aforementioned Restoration Tosser describe the thin strips of plaster retention material as 'lathes'.

Oh, that one would fall on his ignorant head . . . .

Reply to
fred

I wouldn't be surprised. The word has occasionally been used even in this hallowed group.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , fred writes

He was just trying to turn a few heads ...

Reply to
geoff

Perhaps he said lath, but in some obscure regional accent.

Reply to
Graham.

A Lath a minute then..

Sorry.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

LOL!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I thought so too, but he used the correct word later on.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Russell

I think good old Tommy Walsh made that mistake as well. Is it the Restoration Man that architect George Clarke ? He has some quite good ideas - better than when Caroline Quinten did a series ! He's a Geordie so could be a regional thing ... Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

So he's a twit _and_ the programme continuity sucks :-!

Reply to
fred

Yes, that's the one but if that's a Geordie accent it's the most poncified one I've ever heard.

I understand pronunciations may differ but I've yet to hear anyone who has actually been in the business say 'laythes'.

Not sure if he actually comes up with the ideas, wouldn't surprise me if there was a 'team' for that and he just turns up for filming.

As you can probably guess, I have no time for him whatsoever.

Reply to
fred

Oh. I quite like him. He seems genuine to me. He has been a proper architect and his TV career came out by chance according to Wikipedia. Now, Caroline Quinton fronting the previous series was ridiculous. Everytime she talked it came across as poor acting. Which is strange since her acting can be quite good ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

What are you on about? The "ideas" for the programme come from the people doing the restorations, who contact Channel 4.

At least he is a genuine architect:

Richard Russell

he's a trained interior designer running his own design business, she's a poncy actress

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Oops, looked up the wrong person

He's a trained architect

she's a poncy actress

Reply to
tim.....

ideas - better than when Caroline Quinten did a series ! He's a Geordie so could be a regional thing ...

He's not a Geordie.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

good ideas - better than when Caroline Quinten did a series ! He's a Geordie so could be a regional thing ...

What's the definition of Geordie ? Clarke was born in Sunderland and brought up in Washington, Tyne and Wear. Are you a Geordie ? (ducks) ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In message , fred writes

But you're determined to keep watching and go on and on and on about it

Reply to
geoff

good ideas - better than when Caroline Quinten did a series ! He's a Geordie so could be a regional thing ...

Certainly not! People from Sunderland (including Washington) are Mackems.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I've just seen the repeat on Four Yet Again.

Yes, he did.

And that staircase didn't comply with Building Regs - as the previous staircase had disappeared would it count as new construction and have to?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Geordie's hail from Newcastle-upon-tyne.

He's a Mackem.

You'll need to do more than just duck if Frank is a Mackem and you've just called him a Geordie... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice