Restoration Costs

Hello,
In a few days time I'll be bidding at auction on a house requiring rather a lot of work. I was wondering if the group could give me very rough estimates for the following jobs, given that the house is a 3-bed semi detached cottage with a frontage of around 25 feet and a depth of around 20 feet..
1) New slate roof, reusing maybe 75% of the current slates. 2) Connecting mains drainage to the middle of the road (only about 10 feet to property) 3) Rewire. 4) Replacing render on front of house.
Thanks,
Steve

MMM! bidding in a few days and you need some estimates from this group, who dont know the house, or where it is.
I dont think anyone would/should be irresponsible enough to make any educated guesses which might blow your money.
You need to get the trades in fast, and get some real figures - or you could just fly a kite and keep your fingers crossed.
Have you had a survey carried out? Are you getting a mortgage, or do you have the cash to buy?
--
Richard Faulkner

20
Your local authority and local builders are the best to ask for this type thing. People would need to see the job before passing on any advice or prices.
Stephen Barnes wrote:

Budget on at least 15k
How old is the house? If over one hundred years you will have an ongoing hobby.
Hello Stephen

1. Lots. 2. Lots. 3. Lots. 4. Lots.
You haven't given us nearly enough information to even wave our arms around in a rough manner. The only near guess you'll get is 2-3 LOCAL builder's quotes and a trip to the water authority for a quote for the sewerage (the price for which can be hugely variable depending on other services in the way). Anything else is too misleading to be useful.
If you're set. Think of a number, double it and add that to the going price at auction. Sit on your hands UNLESS it goes for something absurd where you're 100% certain you can make a profit, because you've failed to do enough homework in time to risk anything but the largest margin.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK