Resiting gas pipe earth connection

Hi,

Currently my gas pipe runs along the outside wall, from the external meter to where it enters the kitchen (about a 4m run). The pipe is earth-bonded inside the kitchen near where it passes through the wall.

I'm thinking of installing a (natural gas) CH boiler in the kitchen (the house has an old propane cylinder based system).

The new boiler's position means that its gas supply would need to be 'Teed' off the external pipe about half way along.

As I understand them, the regs say that earth bonding to the gas pipe must be where the pipe enters the house (for an external meter) and before any pipework branches.

So, my question is will I have to redo the earth bonding - replacing a perfectly good one for one that connects to just before the new 'T' in the gas pipe?

If the answer is 'yes', this means the connection will need to be on the outside of the pipe (before the T); I don't like the idea unless proper weather proof connection boxes are available - are they?

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In order for common sense to operate here we have one of those cases where the regs are no 100% clear. This matter is open to interpretation: However the existing (main) earth bonding is in order (where the pipe enter the house). You will of course be temporarily bridging the earth on the supply pipe when you cut through it to make the T for the new boiler.

Why not interpret the regs as "... before any (internal) branches ... "?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks Ed.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

You frequently see the main earht bond taken right into the meter cabinet, and connected to the consumers pipe just after the meter. That way it is "inside" of sorts.

Reply to
John Rumm

Put a second earth bond where the new pipework enters the building.

-- JGH

Reply to
jgh