Resistor power rating

Well, i tested the known good one (in circuit) and this also shows as 10 Ohms, so I think this is pretty conclusive that it is not a resistor, and is an inductor as suggested - Thanks for eliminating that!

I will order a triac and see if that sorts it :)

Reply to
Toby

The XHBCC one at the bottom of the page looks a dead ringer, even down to the colour code bands (except the yellow doesn't show the orange tint of the OP's example).

Since these are all ferrite cored, I'd have thought a magnet test would prove it one way or the other (carbon or metal film resistors don't use magnetic materials).

Reply to
Johny B Good

In article , Johny B Good scribeth thus

Genius!!....

You must have bought a lot of second hand motahs then JB?....

Reply to
tony sayer

Yep, it does stick to a magnet :)

Reply to
Toby

A few, not a lot. I don't recall ever using a magnet to check for body filler funnily enough.

In this case, 'my genius' lay in spotting the mention of ferrite cores and the fact that resistors, ime, don't use magnetic materials in their construction.

I wonder if the Toby tried the magnet trick. Even though the evidence is _so_ compelling for it being an inductor rather than a faulty resistor, it won't do any harm to check with a magnet (belt and braces test of the hypothesis that it _is_ an inductor).

Reply to
Johny B Good

Indeed it does stick to a magnet - did you not see my other reply saying this?

Reply to
Toby