Resin release agent

I'm creating a small polyester resin casting. What makes a good release agent if you don't have the real thing? I'm just doing a test run with silicone spray lubricant. Furniture polish was something else I wondered about (probably also silicone). The mold is a piece of clear plastic packaging used to hang a product on a display rack.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have some PTFE spray and I think it says its a mould release agent. No idea if its better than silicone spray.

Reply to
dennis

Diesel is a good general purpose mould release.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Washing up liquid or vaseline works for me

Reply to
stuart noble

There are certain plastics which epoxy resins simply will not stick to, and I don't know if polyester resins are the same. If they are, you may get away without any release agent.

I suspect one possible problem is likely to be that the plastic you're using will fail to be wetted properly by whatever you spray on it. The result would be that instead of forming a very thin uniform coating, it will just form beads. This may mean that if the resin is going to stick, it will still stick around the beads, while the beads themselves will form an unsightly pitted pattern on your product.

If appearance is less important than basic functionality, I suppose you could try lining the mold with waxy greaseproof paper.

I guess you will need to experiment.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

I have used RS spray Silicone oil in the past ... worked well on 2-part acrylic casting

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Thought that was just a rumor ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Used them for years. Why am I seeing this thread 4 days late? Bloody Virginmedia

Reply to
stuart noble