Requirement for safety checks for household electricity & gas?

Hi,
Is there a requirement or recommendation for the layman to have their utility supplies, i.e. gas plumbing and electrical wiring checked by an approved technician?
I think there is a safety guideline for gas boilers, i.e. get them serviced/checked every year but is this documented/laid down anywhere? - does this type of servicing apply for electrical or water plumbing?
any help of pointers would be great
regards
Andrew
-- Yorkboy

Yes, but don't get ripped off. It shouldn't cost you more than 500 per annum.
--
Alan
wrote

I get the impression that mortgage lenders are asking for electrical inspections on properties more frequently these days plus insurance companies add it as a condition to their policies that a rental property must pass an electrical inspection.Don't think plumbing needs inspecting but perhaps they should be - what about all those dishwashers and washing machines that empty into a rainwater drain as it is closer to run the waste pipe to?