Request for addition to a uk.d-i-y FAQ.

I plead total higgorance your honour

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Approve? I have no strong feelings about it one way or the other. I have read through some of the thread in question - and skiped over most of it. I have not bothered going back to it for some time now.

What I don't get yet (and hence my questions about your software setup) is why it causes you any problem?

Reply to
John Rumm

If you want a charter then why not submit one for discussion. Then we can all see what the consensus on these points is.

Personally I don't feel it will make any real difference since relatively few users of the group are likely to seek it out or understand its significance. Far fewer people will see it than the FAQ for example.

I would not vote for that.

"Inane babble by stupids" seems to encompas a number of "issues". First the real stupids propbably don't class themselves that way anyway. Secondly the particular thread to which you refered ealier generally contained a significant number of erudite well argued points from a collection of regular and respected posters.

I *much much* prefer to see that sort of discussion that the responses that some posts get that seek to intimidate, or ridicule or are just plain obnoxious. However I accept that you are not going to legisate against that either.

You seek to reduce his argument to absurdity. However I don't see that nayone is "encouraging" OT posts.

Not really, usenet is not perfect, you need to learn to use the tools correctly if you want to get the best from it.

Does not exactly the same aregument apply to (say for example) posts on plumbing issues if it was an area of DIY you had no interest in and something you had no desire to read about? You would have to find a way to skip those in such a way as to not cause yourself grief and you would not have the option of complaining they were off topic. So why not apply the same solution to the (I presume far fewer) OT discussions that are of no interest to you.

Reply to
John Rumm

But your car engine has an air intake filter?

Reply to
Rob Morley

I don't approve or disapprove of it. One very long off-topic thread is conveniently easy to skip.

Reply to
Tony Bryer