Repointing brickwork - grounds for an Angle Gringer ?

I've got a fair amount of brickwork that needs repointing. The wall itself is not as robust as it should be, so I'd like a "low-impact" method of raking out the existing mortar.

Is this a good excuse to buy an angle grinder, and if so which ones would be suitable for occasional use, and which disks should I buy for mortar ?

Thanks

Reply to
Mr UPVC

If it doesn't come out quite easily with a joint raker such as

it probably doesn't need repointing.

People do use angle grinders, but they usually end up doing lots of damage to the bricks.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sorry to disagree, but those things are pretty much useless IMO. They don't remove loose lumps of mortar that are breaking out, only powdery stuff.

It takes a little care obviously, but you can remove mortar with incredible precision using a diamond disc.

BTDTGTTS

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think to give a good answer depends on the brickwork. Eg historic brickwork normally uses very soft bricks, and anything hard enough to need an angle grinder should normally be left alone.

4.5" Angle grinder with a diamond cutting disc is a quick way to remove mortar, but real care is necesary to avoid doing a lot of brick damage, and for old soft bricks avoiding them is the usual advice.

Any brand will do occasional use. Ability to do lots of work before dying is what the low end machines dont have.

NT

Reply to
NT

A masonry bit in a drill works well enough at low speed. I've used the solid carbide mortar rakes but, other than being shorter, there's no real benefit. I usually end up raking out by hand with an old screwdriver and often a power tool isn't any faster.

Reply to
stuart noble

4 1/2" angle grinders come in at 20 quid (Lidl), 40-50 quid (green Bosch) and 80 quid+ (Metabo)

There are several differences:

  • Features, like quick-release nuts, anti-vibration handles. Usually the 80+ machines, to differentiate them from the mid-range. You might even find a switch that doesn't jam on with sawdust when using an Arbortech (fecking hate that)

  • Bearing quality, lack of vibration, lack of runout. You'll get this on the 40+ machine

  • Sealed windings. These reduce failures from dust, but they also reduce cooling and so you need a larger winding for the same power.
80+ machines.

So 40 quid gets you a good machine. 80 quid gets you a good machine that's nicer and lasts longer. 20 quid gets you something that won't leave a smooth polished surface. However a 20 quid machine lasts just as long as a 40 quid, when sawing stone (which is hard on any machine).

So I keep my good grinder for metal, and there's a disposable Lidl for sawing up brocks.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There are cheaper too, or were, such as dirty devils. I hear they dont last long.

Reply to
NT

There is a powertool that I've seen advertised that works in a very similar way to the fein multipurpose tool. It has a reciprocating head which you attach various cutters which have diamond teeth for accurately cutting/hacking out brick or concrete. I'll see if I can find the flyer unless anyone else knows what its called.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

I've seen these used to trim glass fiber moulds. And I saw the operator put one on his hand and demonstrate that it didn't cut it, either.

The skin just vibrated..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wonderful things, made by Arbortech. They do make very, very neat cuts through bricks, and they'll stop dead in a corner. I'm considering buying one (maybe in partnership with a neighbour, who happens to be a stonemason) and having it used to tidy up my garden wall and its many frost-damaged bricks (I buy it, he does the work). Manyana.

They're also great (albeit overpriced) for grinding out tree roots.

They created this for one of two reasons, I'm unsure which.

  • They already made the Arbortech carving disk, but that just didn't look dangerous enough any more.
  • They wanted to make the Fein look cheap...
Reply to
Andy Dingley

The Arbortech will rip your hand off. It has two contra-oscillating cutters, so it will also cut things that are flexible, unlike the Fein- style vibrating saws.

Does anyone know the S/H price on a real Stryker saw? Is it more or less than a Fein?

Reply to
Andy Dingley