Replacing wired room 'stat with wireless

Due to a new TV unit that's soon to go in I need to move my wired room stat.

For simplicity I've decided to get a wireless one. My CH is the old school type, not a combi, tank in the loft, h/w cylinder etc.

So far I've used my mains tester that confirms the CH on output from the timer goes to the existing stat, which switches to a yellow wire, using the mains tester & switching on/off, I've traced the yellow wire to the wiring box next to the pump & motorized valve. Yellow wire is connected to a white wire that goes to the valve.

From my research all I think I need to do is, remove the old stat, then blank off the box, which makes the yellow wire dead, stick the wireless receiver at the other end by the pump, wire in a permanent L & N to it & stick the white wire going to the valve to the receiver's 'CH on' terminal.

Does this sound about right or have I missed something?

CD

Reply to
CD

I forgot to add that the new timer will handle all the timer functions too, as did the old wired one, so the exsisting timer doesn't need to get involved.

Reply to
CD

Sounds fine to me.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Presumably therefore you already have wiring in place for an existing stat; and the new stat is presumably not going to be too far away from where the old one was?

If so, for SIMPLICITY's sake, do yourself a favour and re-use (extend?) the existing wiring and use a hard-wired stat again. The only reasons for wireless-anything are (a) portability of the device (not an issue with a room stat) and (b) convenience of not needing to run cables (not really an issue for you either). All other characteristics of wireless connectivity are detrimental - interference from other devices; batteries going flat; failure to connect with its source etc etc. No doubt there's more, but that's just to be going on with.

Yes, I was persuaded into a wireless stat here and bitterly regret it - continually stops working and I really can't figure out what's wrong (which reminds me, I must look into it again as the bloody thing's been on override now for weeks since the last time the heating didn't come on one morning)...

Reply to
Lobster

That would be the ideal plan, but I don't really have an alternative that doesn't involve major work. The section of wall where the stat is will be completely taken up by the unit, any relocation will mean ripping out plaster. The unit is Ikea Besta modular stuff that incorporates panels behind the telly to hide wires. I was considering putting the receiver in this space, wire it to a plug & connect the yellow wire to it, but I don't really want more wires than I need behind there & a plug connected to the wall...

Reply to
CD

More or less but I'd disconnect all the wires that currently feed the wired stat. The live feed to that will become live if the existing timer switches on...

You may have to loop the permenant live to the common of the switch in the new stat. Quite often these switches are "volt free" meaning they are just a switch, there is no mains feed to them.

It might be worth still feeding the new stats common from the existing time switch. Turning the heating off via the time switch (permenant off or even timed) might be easier than faffing about with a "holiday" mode of the stat.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This is the one I'm getting

it mentions Volt free & AC operation, it seems to handle both

I see your point, once the weather picks up I just turn off the CH altogther for the summer at the existing timer, I could keep this arrangement by joining the red & yellow behind the old stat which will be blanked off. The yellow upstairs in now the common, with the white for the MV connected to the n/o terminal. In fact the wiring diagram makes perfect sense..

CD