Replacing window pane. 'Putty' recommendations.

Whats the best available material around for sealing a replacement pane in a single glazed wooden sash window? Used Linseed Oil Putty on the last one but that was five years ago.

Reply to
Liam

linseed oil putty. Give the tub a squeeze before paying, it hsould all be soft.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

|Whats the best available material around for sealing a replacement |pane in a single glazed wooden sash window? Used Linseed Oil Putty on |the last one but that was five years ago.

I moved over to Butyl putty some years ago It does not set like linseed. IMO much better.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Linseed oil putty sets rock hard over time and is the major cause of rot in the lower part of sliding sashes. The thicker layer used in casement windows has a better chance of survival but basically it has nothing going for it compared to acrylics. They can be overpainted within a couple of hours and stay flexible. IIRC Vallance do a universal sealant suitable for glazing

Reply to
Stuart Noble

This looks like an acrylic

?id=99058&ts=42578

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thank you all for your advice.This time I had a bit of a job to find a shop selling glass cut to size. Three local ones had shut. Eventually found one still open. Only silicone and linseed oil available so I ended up using linseed oil putty again. Will get some Acrylic from Screwfix to try on the next one.Wish you all a restful bank holiday.

Reply to
Liam

I thought acrylic sealants were generally not as long lived as silicone, which itself isnt longlived enough for wooden glazing. Linseed normally lasts over a century. It can fail of course, but as often as acrylic? I doubt it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote: >

I find white silicone very convenient to use rather than putty. You could run round several windows in an hour with a tube of silicone and if you were to replace the putty it would take days. Putty has had its day. It is obsolete because its so difficult to remove and when it drys it lets the rain in. I wouldnt take it for nothing.

We have to move on with the new materials. I guess silicone and related products have replaced many of the difficult finishing jobs like sealing door and window frames and skirting and decorating etc etc.

Reply to
noelogara

But could you get a good finish and not get any on the glass? Also, being soft and rubbery, it attracts dirt.

You've obviously never watched a glazier puttying a window. It is precisely because it's so cheap and fast to apply that they continue using it.

Not half as difficult as silicone. Glaziers won't touch windows where it has been used

and when it drys it lets the rain in. I wouldnt take it for

Unfortunately it lets the rain in before it shows any outward signs of failing. By the time the paint film cracks, the damage is done.

Agreed, but silicone is not a good replacement for putty.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Tests have shown that acrylics last for a thousand years

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Stuart Noble wrote: > You've obviously never watched a glazier puttying a window. It is

The is a glazier who is doing it day in and day out. We mere mortals only put the odd pane of glass in and silicone is the easy way out.

Glaziers are not DIY men. We are.

Reply to
noelogara

Odd, I've never had that problem with it. Maybe you're using the wrong technique.

its tough yes, but one rarely need remove it. A couple of panes per house per century maybe.

nonsense

do we? why?

There are good uses for silicone et al, but there are still good uses for the older ones too. I think maybe you underestimate them. It would be interesting to see how many of your frames have rotted a century later due to silicone failure, I'd bet on it being much worse than linseed. I'm sticking with linseed as it has such an excellent record.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Provide a cite for this manufacturer's test if it exists. However I suspect youre just being a time waster as always.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

Quite so. They have a merry glaziers' song, for a start.

and Swann - The Gasman Cometh)

Reply to
Guy King

Just taking the piss out of you for citing a century plus for linseed putty survival. As you well know, it can even go hard in the tub if not tightly sealed, and that's in a great lump. When it goes hard on your windows it is worse than useless, being about as hard and brittle as the glass itself. You must have realised by now that linseed putty is *only* effective if it *doesn't* dry, which it may not for many years if protected by paint and a favourable aspect. On a south facing window the chances are minimal. Don't you think it's time you started thinking about these things rather than just spouting dogma? Have you never picked lengths of putty out of a window with your fingernail? You can snap then into 3mm pieces. That's what I call inflexible (and useless).

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Stuart Noble wrote: > You must have realised by now that linseed putty is *only* effective if

precisely and if mr meeow ever had to replace a broken pane of glass he would know all about removing old putty.

Reply to
noelogara

The amazing thing is that some of it survives very well, but rarely on the bottom of the window where it is most needed.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Stuart Noble wrote: >

correct and if you examine old windows there is almost always a fine gap between the putty and the glass which allows the rain to get down to the wood and rot it. I have had to replace windows that were 30 years old and yet some old pitch pine windows are still sound after two hundred years. So his talk of window age is more down to the quality of the wood than the work of the putty.

Reply to
noelogara

on most >100 yr old houses most of the putty is still original, and still ok. Therefore the MTTF of linseed putty is >100 years. Only a time wasting fool like you could be incapable of grasping such a simple concept.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Dream on