Replacing WC cistern innards

My fairly ancient cistern seems to have failed - it only flushes when the water level is dangerously high. This is a low-leve cistern, sitting on the toilet bowl.

I was wondering if there are any clever units now which one can use as replacements? (I don't really want to replace the whole unit.)

I'm thinking of something that has 2 (or more) levels of flushing, to save water.

Also, can anyone point to simple d-i-y instructions for replacing the inside unit?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Sounds like you need a new syphon unit. Have a look at

which would probably do the job.

It simply connects to the big hole in the bottom of the cistern, using its flange, rubber seal and nut - and the flushing mechanism connects to the wire hook, so as to raise the piston when you operate the handle.

You will, of course, have to turn off the water, disconnect the cold feed and overflow pipes and disconnect the cistern from the pan to fit it.

I'm not quite sure whether your cistern is close-coupled (i.e. sits directly on top of the pan) or low-level (i.e. mounted a little way above the pan with a J-shaped pipe connecting the cistern to the pan. Which is it - because the detailed instructions are slightly different in the two cases?

Reply to
Set Square

Thanks, that sounds interesting. I don't think screwfix has yet reached Ireland, but next time I am in the UK ...

I was a bit surprised at the small range offered - 6 to 9 litres. I don't like to be crude, but I would have thought a poo was worth at least twice as much water as a pee.

It's close-coupled. I was wondering if one had to remove the cistern in this case.

Actually, I have got the toiled working - the overflow was not connected - just an open hole in the cistern. I've sealed this, and bent the float arm to let the water rise higher, and all is working fine again.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

The overflow not being connected wouldnt have contributed to your problem.. I thought you said it only flushed when the water was dangerously high but now you have bent the float arm to raise the level.????

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

There are instructions here on how to change the syphon on a clos coupled toilet. I did this for the first time last year following th advice from this site. It could be made better with more picture though!

weekendwarrior

I didn't explain myself well. There is no overflow attached to the cistern, leaving a hole in the side of the cistern where the overflow should be. I sealed this hole, allowing the water to rise higher.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy