replacing washing machine door seal

I have a hotpoint wm52 with 2 small tears in the seal. consequently, it leaks. Anyhow, how easy/difficult is it to replace? and more to the point, how do I do it?

thanks in advance

fray bentos

Reply to
Fray Bentos

I have a slightly older Hotpoint, so details of attachment may vary.

New seal is 7 or 8 quid, typically. You open the door, and release the spring band/whatever that holds the outer edge of the seal. The inner edge is held by a metal band that goes round a lip on the wash tub; you can usually get to the screw that holds this by simply taking the top off the machine.

Reassembly is obvious except it can be a pig getting the edge of the seal over the rim. Most difficult problem can be working out how the outer edge retainer works...mine has a wire loop that fits into a small lump of plastic, and you just push it away off the rim and it comes apart.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I just called local spare shop, quoted £18.50 for seal.

fray

Reply to
Fray Bentos

Well this is it so far.

I have removed the outer wire by opening a plastic clip thing just inside the door.

I removed the inner wire by unscrewing tension band. seal is now off.

I have a concern about getting the inner band on properly all the way around when I refit the new one. looks a bit tricky. apart from that, jobs a good 'un

fray

Reply to
Fray Bentos

Not surprised. CPC sold me one for about 7 quid plus VAT; even with the small order handling charge you'd save money! Lots of online places though..

Remember that if you put the inner band on first, you can access it through the door opening...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well It took me 5 mins to remove old seal and about an hour to fit new one. Easier that I expected. I ran a wash with a piece of newspaper under the machine. no leaks. whahey. thanks for advice Bob.

fray bentos

Reply to
Fray Bentos