Replacing thermostatic cartridge in shower cabin - can't unscrew old one

Hello group,

I have a shower cabin, Inisgnia GT8720. It has three control knobs, the bot tom one being the temperature control, which is basically a thermostatic ca rtridge...

-DSC_0307.jpg.html

It screws into the main unit, and replacement is simply a case of unscrewin g the old cartridge from the unit and screwing the new one in. Insignia pro vide a video how-to here:

This shows the process but it is not necessary to remove the entire 3-knob unit from the shower, you can do it in-situ.

Here's the trouble - using my grips I am unable to get enough purchase to t urn the old cartridge, I cannot even budge it before the grips slip off, an d I am using all of my strength.

I'm now in need of a way to try and unscrew this thing. I thought initially about a gentle heating, but I don't want it to expand as it will make it e ven tighter! I have also squirted in WD40 and some de-scaler in case it's c logged up but neither have had any effect.

I'm now looking for some suggestions as to how I can unscrew this thing!

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon Parker

Have you tried locking a Mole wrench onto the knurled bit, and then tapping it round with a rubber mallet.

I sometimes need to do a similar thing with the cartridges in basin taps

- except that I can use a ring spanner on those. If - as is often the case - they won't budge with just hand pressure on the spanner, tapping it with a rubber mallet usually does the business.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Seems like a standard right hand thread device. I'd try to rotate it anticlockwise with the grips whilst gently tapping the knurled end with a hammer. The impact vibration may free up the threads sufficiently for it to turn. Too much turning force alone might be a problem as you do not know how well the back unit is located. Heating it with a hair dryer before spraying with WD40 may help with penetration. I guess careful persistence is called for.

Reply to
Capitol

+1 for Moles. I assume you are aware that you need to lock them on *as tightly as you possibly can* by adjusting the screw. For a hex device, start by using the flat jaws at the tip, and if that doesn't work (I almost said *when* that doesn't work) use the rounded part of the jaws. On Knurling, use the rounded part.

I've even had good results with a Mole on chrome plating, after wrapping the part with numerous turns of duct tape to protect the finish. The Mole is probably my favourite non-power tool when it comes to fixing things. Not sure if I would place it just before or just after a bench vice.

I agree about rubber mallets too.

Reply to
newshound

Horses for courses! Much more portable - you can't always bring the workpiece to the vice if, for example, it's attached to your car.

Apart from the usual DIY, I find my Mole wrenches (I've got several - including a few unbranded clones) excellent for cracking crabs' claws to get the meat out. You can assert a very high force over just a short distance, without any danger of crushing the thing completely.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I might suggest pipe wrench, pump pliers or Stilsons, that increase their grip as you turn.

Reply to
Fredxxx

All sorted. Used a tool which I don't know the name of but it's for getting to the back-nuts on the underside of bath taps which are impossible to acc ess otherwise. This has a spring-loaded grip on it and a T-bar at the end, this was able to grip the knurled bit hard enough to crack it off, after th at it came out by hand.

New one in with a bit of PTFE tape and so far so good.

Cheers all. Jon

Reply to
Jon Parker

A tap spanner.

Reply to
Huge

Mine come out at Xmas as nutcrackers!

Reply to
newshound

I put in immersion heaters with something like ten layers of PTFE tape for the same reason.

Reply to
newshound

Yes, excellent for that too. You can crack the shells without smashing the innards to smithereens.

Reply to
Roger Mills