Replacing the stopcock?

The time has come for me to replace the stopcock on the incoming mains water pipe. It is quite old, very stiff to turn off completely and is weeping a little.

I asked before about replacing it with a full-bore ball valve and no one said it was a bad idea, so I would like to go through with it now.

I have found the main stop valve in the street for my house, but he pipe running from there in to the house is 20 mm outside diameter blue plastic pipe (MDPE?) Is the use of 20 mm un-common, 25 mm seems much more common when searching the news group.

Looking in the Screwfix catalogue they seem to have fittings for 25 mm MDPE, including a "normal" 25 mm to 22 mm stopcock but no suitable ball valves.

How would I go about fitting a ball valve between the incoming 20 mm plastic pipe and the 15 mm copper to the rest of the house?

As the stopcock is currently fitted to the 20 mm pipe with a compression fitting, I assume that there is some rigid insert in the end of the pipe. Would this increase the diameter enough to allow a 22 mm ball valve to be used?

I guess the simplest thing is to buy a replacement stopcock like the one currently fitted, but I am sold on the ease of use of a ball valve.

Thanks, BraileTrail

Reply to
BraileTrail

BES have 20mm MDPE fittings, and so should some of your local plumbers' and/or builders' merchants. You can go MDPE -> Copper -> ball valve or fit an MDPE stopcock directly.

Reply to
John Stumbles

A ball valve is not a stopcock. A stopcock should be fitted. If there is concern that the ballcock will restrict flow, which most do, then fit the next size up.

Reply to
IMM

Tell that to our water company.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Treckie,

It is not their concern. It is your stopcock. Id they do kick up for some silly reason, then just replace the stopcock to a larger size after they have gone.

Reply to
IMM

If they say it's OK, I'm happy.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What is OK?

Reply to
IMM

My water co will come and fit a lever valve to replace the stopcock:-

they're fitting it, I doubt they'll complain :-)

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

Exactly - which was my point, although I didn't spell it out (as I should have to IMM).

Mid-Kent Water did mine too; took him over 3 hours, whicb was very good for 79.95 all inclusive. It was a real pain and not a DIY job for me.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Are you saying the water company is fitting lever ball valves instead of stopcocks as standard?

Reply to
IMM

Yes.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A new one on me. I would only install a high quality ball valve, as they have a reputation of passing water when in the off position.

What benefits did you see with this full bore valve?

Reply to
IMM

It's full bore, and can be operated in an emergency by an elderly relative who has arthritic hands.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That is if it hasn't seized up slightly. It is best to have a brass clip above and below these valves as it is easy to wrench the pipe from the wall is enough pressure is put on them.

Reply to
IMM

In message , John Stumbles writes

Ah yes, a stopcock adapter, that's exactly what I want.

Thanks, BraileTrail

Reply to
BraileTrail