Replacing slates

Ok so getting the busted ones out and the lead strip to hold the replacement in/up fixed is not not a problem. But how do you get the top of the replacement slate onto the batten that nails of the next row up go into? I've tried various juggling and twisting and lifting the slates above with the ripper but with no joy.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

says you just nail between the 2 slates above the slate you have just replaced.

also has some useful info.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

I used to have a piece of thin wide steel strip that I played around with until it went over the batten, then slid the slate up it into place.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

There isn't enough movement or space between the two slates in the row above to get the head through the gap on this roof. You also have to faff about putting a bit of flashing over the nail head and what keeps that in place?

US based and they appear to do things slighty differently. They really don't like the strip of lead method, can't say I've ever had snow, ice or things sliding down the roof open up any of the straps on the roofs that haven't been redone here. Asthetically they are a bit of eyesore and that site has introduced slate hooks which will be far less obtrusive. I need some more slates so will see if the builders merchant has some nail in slate hooks of the right length or the black plastic strappy things.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yeah, having drawn a cross section of how the slates lay in relation to each other and the battens it became obvious that shoving the ripper up and across the gap and onto the batten *before* you put the replacement slate in (on top of the ripper) should guide it up and onto the batten. Always assuming there is enough slack in the roof, this one was only reslated 5 years ago and is still pretty tight.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That is why I used thin steel strip, rather than the ripper.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

My ripper is the thinest bit of steel strip I have, also has a handy handle for jiggling. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Slide the slate rip in first over the top lath then slide the slate up on top of the rip. When the tail of the replacement slate is level with the other slates slide the rip out. Try a thinner slate if tight or you can hit the top of the slate with a hammer to form a reverse riven edge so you have a chamfer which will help ride over the lath.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

they are also called tingles.

The ones I bought are the wrong length, so please post a link if you find a good supplier!

The Slate Roof Bible is a fantastic book, some of the curves in the photos are so sexy!

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

strappy

Which they? the slate hooks or black plastic strappy things?

"tingles" really refers to copper or lead strips that would traditionally be used to fix a slipped or replacement slate. The black plastic strappy things are Ubbink Sim-fix.

Slate hooks have a fixed length, strips of copper or lead and the Ubbink thing are adjustable. Plenty of places selling slate hooks on the web.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice