Replacing shed roof: Something better than felt?

Hi,

My 10 year old shed has a leaking felt roof. I've already refelted it once a few years ago.

What I am looking for is a more robust roofing option that will last at least as long as the shed itself.

I have seen an interlocking "tile effect" plastic sheeting system used on the roofs of mobile homes. (aesthetically less ugly than corrugated plastic)

Anybody know who manufactures this/what it's called?

David

Reply to
Vortex3

Real roofing felt will. Shed roofing felt seems to be designed to disintegrate every couple of years.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

=================================== I think it's called 'Decra'.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I'll back that up - did mine properly 15 years ago and it's going strong.

Reply to
robgraham

EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks.

Tomorrow I'll research cost/m^2.

Reply to
Vortex3

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

How about grass. Roof needs to be solid. Put a lip to stop the turf sliding off. Layer of plastic then a dusting of topsoil, then turf on top of this. Quite common on the continent but we are catching up over here.

Reply to
nafuk

You need a *very* solid roof (and a rigid shed) to do that. Even with thin turf as above it weighs a fair bit.

I've seen a thin layer of 50:50 compost and vermiculite suggested before, which is enough to grow vigorous alpines and much lighter than turf.

Reply to
PCPaul

You probably used cheap shed felt, which is only really suitable for rabbit hutches. I use heavy duty shed felt, which you can buy from any shed manufacturing company, and which lasts at least 15 years.

Reply to
DIY

I've used ordinary Marley shed roofing felt and only had to replace it 'cause the shed blew over:

is still looking good and we get rather more extreme weather than most people, yesterday afternoon was a fairly steady 40mph + wind with gusts to the low 50's mph. The felt is not stuck down, just clout nails every 2" maybe a tad closer along all exposed edges and about every 4" on the edges that are covered. No tree cover so this roof gets full summer sunshine as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice