Replacing recessed spotlights

Recessed into the false ceiling in my kitchen are four spotlights which I reckon were fitted about twenty years ago though I have lived in my flat for only the past four years. I have renewed the lamps from time with Homebase R80 100watts spotlights. One of these lamps, which I had never needed to replace, burned out recently but when I replaced it the new lamp did not illuminate.

I was able, after a bit of a struggle, to remove the fitting from the ceiling and it bore a label stating "Ring-Lighting Art No. 50480 240 V Max

100W". While removing the fitting I handled the bulb housing, which is riveted in place, and the plastic/bakelite crumbled to my touch.

I searched in vain online to find a replacement then visited Litecraft at their Glasgow Showroom. There I was told that they stock nothing of this type of fitting nowadays.

I realise I am going to have to replace all four fittings, but not necessarily with spotlights as hitherto. So, I shall be left initially with four holes in the ceiling about 11 centimetres in diameter and am left scratching my head as to how this can be best achieved.

Possibilities which have crossed my mind are :-

a) To get discs of the same diameter cut from ceiling board and to use a strong adhesive to fill the holes, having first drilled them at their centre for the power wires.

b) To get wooden disks (also drilled in the centre) fixed with strong adhesive and marginally larger in diameter than the holes.

c) To fix plastic roses, though I have been unable to locate anything large enough for my purpose.

It would then be my intention to hang shaded lights or up-lighters.

I know from visiting this newsgroups for a long time that there is a lot of expertise to be tapped and I shall be grateful for any suggestions or advice anyone can offer.

Alaric.

Reply to
Alaric

This sort? 100mm mounting hole

Or eyeball style with 140mm hole

Also available in Brass and Chrome finishes.

You can get ready made converter rings to cover the hole if you change to halogen or LED

Also a selection here

Owain

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That looks like an inverted can, which would rule out running any type of energy saving retrofit lamp in that fitting, as it would overheat.

If you find one with an open rear, I would recommend the GE Genura as a compact fluorescent replacement for 100W filament R80's. The GE Genura is a long life fluorescent (as it has no electrodes towear out), and actually has a higher light output than the 100W R80 it replaces. They are damn expensive though, but still much cheaper if you work out the saving over even part of the lamp's rated life. They are floodlamps (very wide angle), not spotlamps. Life depends on temperature, which is why you want an open-rear fitting so it runs as cool as possible.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I know Ring themselves got taken over then the whole lot went belly up, so unless anyone has bought them, I suspect that avenue is closed now. I have some of their low voltage garden lights I need spare globes for.. sigh. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I need good general lighting in the kitchen (not spots), so I fitted six eyeball downlights (the ones intended for R63 reflector lamps) but fitted instead with Philips 33W E27WW 827 lamps, thus allowing space around the lamp for cooling air to flow up through the fitting. Each of these lamps gives out 2250 lumens ! The Philips lamps are pricey but my six have lasted for 4 years without a failure so far.

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

[...]

Thank you to all who responded. The information obtained, particularly from Owain, was most helpful.

Alaric.

Reply to
Alaric