Replacing Rayburn Boiler

Hello,

Fired up the solid fuel Rayburn yesterday, only to find it's raining inside it :-(((.

I've been quoted some horrendous prices to change the boiler (and finding someone local to do it hasn't been easy!), varying from £1000 to £1500. Considering a new Heatranger is £3100, unless I diy I wonder about the economics of it. I think the boiler itself will cost me about £600.

Is it *that* hard to change the boiler in one of these, does anyone know, please? I don't know how old the Rayburn is, I would guess 20+, but it's in reasonable condition otherwise. Probably a Roayale or Nouvelle model.

Thanks for your time.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Try contacting Twyford Cookers. They should have new or reclaimed spares.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If you've got enough clearance at the side it's fairly easy. I've recently changed the boiler on my Royal. On these the boiler is removeable from the side. Disconnect the pipes, remove the cover plate and the old boiler should come out with a bit of manipulation. Unfortunately mine didn't have enough side clearance to get the boiler out, so I had to move the entire unit!

Aga/Rayburn will sell you a new cast iron boiler for about £300, I bought a stainless steel replacement from a company in Wales for about £150. Sorry, can't remember the name, but I found them with google.

Bill

Reply to
bill

Thanks Andy - I think I might go with the stainless steel option, but they will be useful for other bits.

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Thanks Bill. I won't have any problems with access. In fact I now know that I have a MF (multi fuel) model. It looks like I need to unscrew the four chrome caps on the top and then the screws beneath to remove the top, then the side will slide out. After that, did the boiler then just come out, or is it held with any other fittings, do you recall please?

Goddard Engineering in Wales?

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

My boiler had no other fixings. There was some rockwool style insulation that had to be removed, but after that it was just a case of persuading it to come out of the access hole at the right angle.

Yes, that's the one.

Bill

Reply to
bill

Thanks Bill.

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

replying to Paul, Albert Buckley wrote: Dosent take a lot of work take out by pulling and replace and replace wool make sure the seal is ok on new or old boiler

Reply to
Albert Buckley

most helpful rayburn related post on the internet and i should know, i think i have read them all. I have also spoken to countless tradesmen and had no joy. Thank you very much for this.

Reply to
Gerwyn

If you had read them all, you would know that you are replying to a 16 year old post.

Reply to
Andrew

We did this about 25 years ago. Perfectly possible with basic DIY skills but the top has to be taken off the MF and it is extremely heavy. The new boiler (in those days) was about £275. Definitely some swearing involved but it was worth doing.

Reply to
imogen