Replacing old Honeywell thermostat

Hi,

I've just moved into a new house and found that the cover for my room thermostat is broken, so I thought I'd better replace it. I don't know what the model number is, but there is a simple wiring diagram on hte inside (live, neutral and the wire to the central heating controller). The terminal that connects to the central heating is number 3 and marked 20(4)A - do I need to get a new thermostat with the same rating, or would a 10(4)A be up to the job, as that's the highest I can find locally. If this isn't enough information, let me know what else is needed for me to find out.

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
Paul

That will be fine if running a normal gas boiler, pump, zone valves. Running an electric heating system? Then it is a case of assessing the current loading.

Reply to
IMM

If this is for a normal central heating system, then the entire system will be fused at 3A, so anything that can cope with that would be fine.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:46:55 -0000, in uk.d-i-y "IMM" strung together this:

If it's electric I doubt all the heaters will run through one stat, it'd be more than 20A. Any standard room stat will suffice. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

It could be zoned or whatever. The main point is assessing the loading and getting a stat to suit.

Reply to
IMM

It depends what load the thermostat is connected to.

20(4)A is a 20 amp resistive load / 4 amp inductive.

What size fuse does the central heating system use, this should give you some idea of the load.

You might want to consider a programmable thermostat. They cost more but as well as allowing you to vary the temperature during the day with maybe a different program at weekends, they also provide a much more precise control of the temperature.

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

It's just a simple Y-plan, gas heating system for a semi-detached house, so it sounds like it would work. Thanks for your help (also goes out to the rest of the thread!)

Paul

Reply to
Paul