Replacing old concrete garage - Help please

Hi

I have a old concrete built single garage that needs replacing. It has a busted wooden door, broken windows and a leaking asbestos roof....basically the thing leaks like anything and needs replacing.

Is is possible to get someone to replace the windows, roof and door and make the place waterproof as the main structure seems ok to me. If not I was told a pre-cast garage might be the best option. I have no knowledge of these so are they any good? What sort of cost would it be to buy and install a pre-cast garage?

thanks

Reply to
pleasenospam

1 Measure the windows size using the actual hole sizes that exists less 5mm. 2 Go to a local Double Glazing company and ask them to make the windows. 3 Install windows into a simple 4" X 2" frame made and screwed to the inside of the panels with a 1" overlap at the edges, mastic up around the edges to the concrete (IE 3" of the 4x2 hidden and 1 " showing for screwing the window to). 4 While at the Double Glazing firm or at a good builders merchants ask about double wall clear acrylic roof sheet 5 Fit said sheets to existing framework after carefully removing the old roof 6 Floor. Remove all broken areas. 7 Add a screed of around 3" of ready-mix and level off. 8 Job done
Reply to
Mr Alun Davies

Thanks...you make it sound easy. As I'm useless at anything DIY what would a builder or competent DIY'er charge to make the alterations you suggest. I'm guessing as the doors are knackered they can be made and replaced too.

cheers

Reply to
pleasenospam

A pre-cast garage is what youve already got. I dont see any sense buying another if youve already got one thats ok :)

Doors are cheap, repair or more likely replace.

Windows: single glazed framed windows are quite cheap. Sheet glass attached with a few pins is much cheaper and sometimes good enough.

Roofing: if some sheets are broken, those can probably be replaced, or even repaired if youre wiling to climb up and do it yourself. Drill and fix repair plates then gloop it with tarry stuff on the outside.

If the whole roof is a shambles, replace the lot with roof material of your choice. Roofs arent so cheap, but theyre still a lot cheaper than roof plus walls plus assembly plus demolition plus skips. Choose from sheet wood and felt, fibre cement sheet (what youve got now but not asbestos now), corrugated iron, corrugated plastic, multilayer plastic sheeting (=A3=A3), or even a tiled roof. If you choose felt, use decent stuff so it lasts.

Bear in mind asbestos roofs usually last pretty well, so dont dismiss repairing the roof out of hand unless its really shot.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Impossible to say what the cost of materials and labour would be. Do you know of a local builder or handyman who your neighbours have used, and found to be honest and reliable, who can give you an estimate?

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Yes, any decent builder will do this.

There's nothing wrong with the one you've got...is it actually used as a garage or is it a glorified shed like 90% of other 'garages'? - if it's a shed, you don't need an up and over door or wide doors to fit a car in, get a timber frame fitted with a panel in one side and a door in the other, if it is a garage then new up and overs aren't dear (less than £250) Total for door(s) less than £500 fitted

Window - as stated by someone else, get a pvc one and fit it into the hole = £150

Roof: sheets of 25mm plywood with torch on felt, a roofer will do this in a couple of hours if you buy the materials, total = about £500

...you can do it all for less than £1200, how much is a new garage? plus a skip for the old one, plus someone to remove it and someone to erect the new one?

Reply to
Phil L

if the roofs repairable you could do the lot for under =A3100

=A3500 for 2 hours labour sounds a tad steep btw. For that much you could use fibre cement again, will last as long as a few felt roofs.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The £500 was for materials and labour, bearing in mind that we don't know the condition of the joists, facia boards/gutters etc....I was just giving him a ballpark figure

Reply to
Phil L