Replacing lights in a bay with double glazing

Anyone have any views on this? I have 3 large bays with 5 or 6 facets with a light in each. Some windows are georgian barred, all are original 1930's windows in pine, treated with Sadolin Superdec. They are in good condition with only very superficial rot if any. I want to know how feasible it is to simply knock out the lights and replace with a DG unit. By taking out the whole light as opposed to leaving the light frame insitu there should be more than sufficient depth for the new glass. What trim etc would I need to make it look okay, be secure and ensure the units are compromised for lomgevity concerns? I'll post a photo if that helps. TIA

Reply to
visionset

Why not use stepped DG units? One pane is bigger than the other so you just fit the larger pane into the original frame with putty or mastic. Foil usually covers the join and shows a bit on the inside. Either paint to match or fit a suitable moulding to hide it. They might cost a little more but if you ordered them all at once, the suppliers could get set up to do the steps and should not charge much extra.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

How deep is the rebate? Usually pretty shallow in this type of window. The usual way is to use "stepped" glazing units where the glass part projects into the room, but this means you need a bead on the outside, which is not very secure and will probably rot very quickly.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Have a look at this

Mark