Replacing inaccessable soil connection

Hi all I need to replace a 4 inch Marley plastic push fit Y connector with a double so I can run two WCs on the one downpipe. Major problem is access-- the bottom of the Y is below ground level in a space 8 inches square.The top of the Y is the air stack which is vertical to the roof all this is located in a cupboard 2 feet square by 7 foot high. I was thinking of using my trusty demolition reciprocating saw with an 8 inch blade to saw up the plastic--is there an easier way--pipes were installed 30 years ago. I do not want to disturb the existing pan connection which goes to the loo 5 feet away--I realise of course the Y connection to it will have to be gently? disconnected. I am hesitating on this task as after starting we have no loo until completion

Reply to
tom patton

Just be careful with a Y connector. You don't want to get a cross flow between the two WCs. There are some manufacturers who have online pdfs showing acceptable soil pipework.

I have used a sabre saw to do this sort of thing but be careful as the blade can quickly wander. I find a short wood/pvc handsaw is better as they generally stay in the intended direction. From what you say, you may have to dig up the surrounding floor to reveal the bottom of the existing connector. Can you post some photos of the existing setup?

You can get slip couplings for soil pipes, although solvent weld is a better choice. Draincenter keep all these sort of fittings.

Reply to
Martyn Pollard

Digging is not an option as on side is the outside wall 21/2 feet below ground level and on the other is a 3 foot square of concrete 8 inches thick!. Where can I post photos I dont have a web site.

From what you say, you may have

Can I use a slip connector to couple a 4 inch pipe to the existing Y branch.

Reply to
tom patton

You'll have to explain what you mean by that.

Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Pollard

Job done!. Started at 10am finished at 8pm no breaks-except 2 visits to B&Q Thanks for the advice on the double branch Marley advise a 45degree to avoid one branch side transferring to the other. Just cut the stack and took it out in sections using my reciprocating saw. The below ground section was a nightmare in the end I just took the riser out with the Y branch. I take it a slip connector is the coupling below the Y branch-rubber joint about 2 inches wide instead of the usuall 1/2 coupling. The 40mm service pipes were fiddly to remove-and-install--all push fit. Right at the end the shower drain uncoupled-fell out-needing ripping out of some flooring to get at. Im beginning to see why the brickie suggested digging up my driveway to install a deparate soil pipe-but-its done now saving me at least £1000. Many thanks again-I will post photos if I can find them.