Replacing Hot Tank outlet pipe

Hi there,

I'm unfortunate enough to have a leaking pipe from my hot water tank to my bath. It starts copper out of the top of the tank - then goes lead under the floor - halfway along the underside of the batch it's back to

22mm copper! I've got copper everywhere else - just this bits lead!

I'm going to fix the leak and repalce the lead at the same time. installed a radiator recently so know about bending and compression joints etc.

Do I need to get anything in particular for the connection out of the top pf the tank? Any special connection or pipe?

Here's a piccie. Bit grim, I know!!

Simon

The top of the tank almost certainly has a 1" BSP female thread in it - so it's best to remove the existing fittings and pipe, and start from there. So you'll need a 1" male iron (so-called, although it's brass!) to 22mm compression fitting - or perhaps an elbow to bring the pipe out horizontally. If you cannot get a single fitting, use a 1" external-3/4" internal boss and a 3/4" male iron to 22mm compression fitting. I would be inclined to use copper where it shows, and to transfer to plastic pipe where it disappears under the floor, using suitable push-fit fittings to join it all together.

Reply to
Set Square

Thanks Set Square, my order is in with screwfix and I'm planning to attempt this on the weekend! I know how to enjoy myself!

Thanks for the assistance

Simon

Reply to
Simon

It is not called "iron" it is called BSP.

Best keep it copper all the way and use compression fittings, NOT pushfit. If it is easier to thread plastic pipe, the use this, but use normal compression fittings to join the plastic pipe. Wrap the olive in PTFE.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

O, yes it is - in some circles - see

> I would be inclined to use copper where it shows, and to

What sort of bodge is that?! If you want to use compression fittings with plastic pipe, that's fine - but no need for PTFE tape. Make sure you use a - preferably metal - insert in the end of the pipe.

Pushfit fittings are *fine* as long as you *don't* cut the pipe with a hacksaw - like some people I could mention!

Reply to
Set Square

Makers recommendations.

There is.

Yep. You got that one right.

Thay are not, they leak a lot. Now you know.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Mine don't, so there!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Just wait.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Is that on the same page which tells you to cut the pipe with a hacksaw?

How long do we have to wait? I plumbed my utility room with Acorn pipe and fittings back in 1989 - and that's *still* fine!

I'm sure it's *possible* to install them in a way which makes them leak if you're stupid enough!

Reply to
Set Square

Anytime now.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

All, Just thought I'd let you know that I've completed my little task of replacing the hot water tank flow pipe - used a combi of copper and palstic pipe as suggested - wow that stuff bends realy well! it saved me a lot of time as I was going to anneal, bend etc a 22mm copper pipe.

If anyone's interested, I opted for compression joints in the end (with PTFE and LS-X just to make sure).

Thanks again - onto the next project..... skimming the landing walls!

Cheers

Simon

Reply to
Simon