Replacing Hot Air Heating

Our 1972 Wimpey house (so presumably centrally specified) had flow and return vents (The *big* return vent) in the through lounge, but all the rooms upstairs had a couple of inches removed from the lights over the upstairs doors to create an unimpeded path back to the big vent in the lounge. It had no adverse aspects.

Derek G

Reply to
Derek G.

Since it is struggling to reach even 40% efficient when it gets to you, that would be difficult. That's partly why it's more expensive than gas.

I rented a house with a J&S warm air system many years ago, and I quite liked it. Very quick warm up from a standing start. However, it would be a disaster if anyone smokes, and it caused dryness which one of the other occupiers claimed caused problems with contact lenses.

I believe they do drop-in modern replacements for older systems, if you do consider keeping the infrastructure.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hint: Electric storage heaters & panel heaters work fine for flats - once you have 50mm Celotex on the walls.

I would fix the insulation first.

Oil really is likely to be 300$/barrel by 2020 which basically means the average heating bill will be =A32800-3700.

Reply to
js.b1

Cheers everyone that answered. Have offered on a different flat for a number of unrelated reasons, however grateful for the advice all the same. And sorry for releasing the resident looney :)

Reply to
Endulini

Some warm air heating systems, especially but not only pre 1980s system I believe, may contain asbestos in the ducting.

I would recommend for £100 to £200 asking for an asbestos survey of the system before you touch the ducting.

Other than that I wouldn't let the warm air system put you off and I wouldn't necessarily replace it in terms of efficiency unless you really don't like it. It's also possible to replace older boilers with more efficient and modern warm air boilers.

Reply to
Gareth