Replacing Hanging Tiles

Hi Folks,

We have a sizable area of hanging tiles on the front of the house that are beginning to look a bit shabby and SWMBO is starting to make rumbling noises about replacing them. Neither of us are hugely keen on them (but would replace like-for-like if necessary) so have discussed replacing them with cladding or rendering. Has anyone had experience of doing this and what are the likely pitfalls/issues? It's a circa 1968 house in East Cheshire if that helps.

Cheers,

Reply to
Endulini

Probably wisest to replace them. You may find it's not a cavity wall underneath them also. So to do anything else may let in damp.

Battens may need repair/replace also.

They can also be cleaned and painted with special paint.

harry

And watch out for local planning laws that might want to preserve the look of buildings in the area as well. In a conservation area near here a guy was forced to restore the hanging tiles to do this, which cost him a packet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We had slates hung between two bay windows at the last house they could rattle on windy days. The ones that I saw replaced with cladding looked naff though.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

If it's not a cavity wall is it likely to have any other insulation? If not what's the best option for insulating it?

Reply to
Endulini