Replacing glass panes with double-glazed units

Thanks Mary. That's very useful.

Looks like a visit to a local dg supplier. Potentially saved me enough for a couple of holidays and a new computer.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

But whatever happened to Matthew Marks??

David

Reply to
Lobster

Indeedy. My local glass supplier makes them any size you want, next day service.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I had Everest secondary glazing installed into our home in about 1983, (house built 1982), on all windows that were not already D/G'd. To ensure that the house met the new thermal standards at the time, the builder had double glazed the south facing back and omitted the north facing front - Georgian type windows and hence cost-saving to them! The impact to us were cold rooms and significant moisture threatening to rot the wooden frames. Cannot recall the cost now but were consistent with costs for D/G we had to another comparable new home by Anglian a couple of years earlier.

In all the time they were installed, I had but one problem with a spring snapping in one unit in the bathroom - i.e. humidity and corrosion - no other issue. All were functioning well and it hurt me to scrap them this summer when we replaced all the windows by uPVC D/G by Zenith. The reason for scrapping was that the sealed units in most windows were not sealed any more: i.e. misted and a couple of frames were starting to rot (not on the north facing side of the house).

Oh, I forgot to add age; I'm b*ggered if I want to keep trotting up ladders every three/ four years to paint timber. Also had the soffits done.

Anyone want an Ally ladder? :)

Reply to
clot

Ahhhh! That's where my old frames came from. Visually awful, replaced when the seals failed, and water was running down between the panes.

Reply to
<me9

Now you mention it, I recall that, but t'was just once a year thing with the Hoover.

Our rooms that were involved by the replacements are both warmer and quieter. The north face of the house (front) faces the road and now,despite the road being a limited use dead end, we hear less traffic. On the south facing, our back garden, we hear less birdsong. :(

another snip

Spouse did the work,

Ecky thump, (thinks: Yorks or Lancs phrase - don't know; plough on) . An indigenous Yorkshire lass or infected through years of exposure?

In fun ;)

Reply to
clot

If it's the same one, Google shows him still with BBC R&D. Perhaps he just got his house finished. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thankfully, I've not got that T shirt!

Reply to
clot

In truth.

Born and bred in Leeds, both of us. Still live in the next parish to where we were raised. My father's parents, my parents and we were all married at the church at the bottom of this street, three generations baptised there too. This house was bought new by my mother's sister and it will be left to our grandchildren (I'd like to see the ten of them sort out how to use it!)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

AFAI you can have DG units made with the inner and outer panes of different size. The outer pane can be the size of the origiak pane ad the inner a size to fit through the frame. (attempt at ASCII art)

---| Frame | -----

| DG panel |---- | |

I have DH in wooden frames fited in 1998 in a new build and the gap in the panel is about half of that in a window fitted in a 2003 extension. BR might determine the gap you need.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Mmm, could be interesting, (your last comment)!

I spent 4 years in Leeds, ('68 to '72 I think). LS2 - there's a clue! I still have fond memories. I used to sail on the flooded gravel pit at Pool, spent many a day walking around the reservoirs at Eccup and adjacent. Also, of course, The Cow and Calf. Still have a friend living just under that!

Do you recall Whitelocks? Is it still there?

Used to be the only place that sold Scottish & Newcastle No.3. T'was a wonderful brew that I'd take after having gone to the market on a Saturday.

I still have some work relationships with the City - University, but rarely visit - the last occasion was about a year ago when attending a conference at the University accommodation in Woodhouse.

Reply to
clot

Yes. They range from 2 to 22.

Must be uncomfortable ...

I used to go in my misspent youth but no longer. I think it's still there, one of the Tourist Attractions. Hardly ever go into town except the Farmer's Market once a month. We hate shopping and anyway we have everything we need and don't want anything more than that.

Well yes, when I was that age I knew every pub in West Yorkshire. We change though, don't we!

We're in Chapeltown. The first ten years of my life were spent in Woodhouse, in the Servias. I went to Meanwood Road School then Allerton High. My earliest memories are of All Soul's Church (Blackman Lane), Woodhouse Moor playground, library and fairs. The Parkinson Building inspired me with awe in those days but later, when I had friends who were using the University, it just seemed full of scruffy youngsters. You might have been one ... :-)

A son lives up the road, another at Kirkstall. Yet another moves house frequently (RAF), a daughter in France and another with a farm in Wales complete the litter. I think they've finished spawning - I hope they have - but great grandchildren might loom :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Did you have to take me so literally? :)

Here's a test: what's the name (now or then) of the one at the crossroads at Poole Bank?

I'll have you know that I was an erudite young person! Well, most of the time. :)

Kirstall - if I recall correctly - was where YTV was based. I recall getting a lift from Jess Yates back to Wales. That was many moons ago!

Where in Wales?

I came from under the gooseberry bush in Bangor and spent my youth in N Wales and also worked in Mold for a short while later on. I still have a sailing boat yng Gnonwy, (in Conwy).

'Appended that I was mulling over a pint with a friend that hails from Leeds "this evening". Curiously, his daughter now lives back in his former locale and for the past two years he has been Santa at the church he used to attend as a youngster!

Reply to
clot

:-) Would you have been able to resist?

Ah, the Dynely Arms. It was gutted by fire and left boarded for a long time, it's now being restored, sort of, with quite a lot of living accommodation, flats I think. I remember that one because we once went in the firm's Transit van and I locked the keys inside (being a blonde airhead). Spouse went to the back door and turned the handle with such strength that it broke and gave us access.

Oh, so was I, but it doesn't have to go with being scruffy :-)

It was, and is, on Kirkstall Road but not at Kirkstall itself. No 3 son's company is just behind it. No idea who Jes Yates is, I assume a tv personality but we haven't a tv - although we do make things for YTV. The latest was a lot of big candles for yet another version of Pride and Prejudice, to be called Lost in Austen, it will largely be filmed at Harewood House I gather.

Ffaldybrenin.

Bryn Awel (the farm) is much further south, Carmarthenshire.

Spouse was asked to do that once but Fisher men don't do happy. He sat in his grot with his usual scowl (hidden mostly by his big, natural beard) and the kiddies stopped dead at the entrance. Eventually I signalled to him to make a welcoming gensture with his arms, which had a better response.

He hasn't been asked since :-) To his relief I might add - the costume was made for a very tall, very fat man. Spouse is 5'5" and 9 stones dripping wet.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well he was Paula Yates' father, except he wasn't really.

Hope this helps (!) David

Reply to
Lobster

Thank you. That's put my mind at rest. I've been struggling with its name for a while.

It was gutted by fire and left boarded for a

He was.

That made me smile!

Reply to
clot

I've heard of Paula but can't recall a face ... oh, something to do with the Africa man?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah, so it wasn't a test of my knowledge, more of yours :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Indeed so!