Replacing electric oven thermostat-is it easy?

Hi

I have a Homark oven and the thermostat has gone. I can get hold of the part but was wondering if the actually replacement would be an easy job?

Advice much appreciated.

Em

Reply to
emma.r

In what way as the thermostat gone ?

Reply to
powerstation

The oven when turned on heats up and does not regulate, so it is basically on or off!

Reply to
emma.r

It's difficult to answer your question, because it depends what tasks you consider easy/difficult. For instance, I would consider engine replacement in a car a fairly easy job, some wouldn't.

Ovens on the whole come apart quite easily, so replacing the thermostat would involve removing the oven (if it's built-in), removing the front panel (a few screws), locating the thermostat and replacing it. Does that sound easy?

Reply to
Grunff

Oh no you wouldn't! You'd be putting it off for months and months like everyone else!

:)

Engine replacement is a *simple* job but I wouldn't describe it as

*easy*. Lots of scraped knuckle, sheared bolts and gritty oil to contend with.

Imo there is a subtle difference between simple and easy.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

Hmm well it's not actually me that would be doing it! Friend loves diy and is good at it.

Does not sound too hard. Oven is built in so only tricky bit sounds like getting that out..take it there are some screws somewhere that enable it to slide out?

Basically is ti fairly obvious what bits need to come out? any obvious errors or things not to do?

Reply to
emma.r

Yes, screws. Usually accessed by opening the oven door.

This is again totally subjective - I know some people to whom it would be completely obvious, and others who would simply stand there staring at it blankly.

Reply to
Grunff

OK thanks. last question's is thethermostat at the front or the back of the oven? and what does it looked like?

Reply to
emma.r

Make sure that you have something to put the oven onto when you slide it out. I know of a block of 65 flats where every oven is installed with a cable that doesn't allow it to come out and rest safely on the floor - another 4" would make life so much easier!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

On most electric ovens the thermostat is part of the temperature control (the bit that the knob turns). There will be a probe running from this to the top/side of the oven.

Reply to
Grunff