Replacing double-glazed sealed units

Morning all,

We have discussed replacing sealed units in double-glazing a few times on here, and I have just paid to have a large picture window unit replaced. I wouldn't have DIYed this job because of (a) not having seen it done before, (b) the height of the window off the ground, and (c) not having any experience of ordering sealed units.

I would however consider DIYing in the future, as the procedure itself was fairly straightforward.

I have put before/during/after pictures on a web page, along with a brief description of the process involved, here:

Reynolds

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Thanks for that - we have a couple of windows which are in a similar state (one obscured - so less important, the other in the nursery) and its good to have an indication of the cost. Both windows are similar sizes to yours, externally glazed aluminium frames, and only one requiring toughened glass. One is ground floor (dwarf wall) the other is upstairs, but with a flat roof below (although probably requiring a step ladder).

Based on the cost you were charged (£145), I would be tempted to replace the whole window in the nursery as we've replaced the front windows, and the back will be done at some point (when funds permit). Whilst it would be more expensive to do it that way, the fact we'd like to replace them anyway, it seems wrong to pay to repair the existing one. Had we no plans to replace, I may have stuck with a repair.

The ground floor window is another matter as its part of a conservator/garden room/extension. We've no plans to replace the windows/doors in that room, so may be worth replacing that one - although as I said, its obscured glass anyway!

Thanks for the info - useful to know.

David Hearn