Replacing dimmer with rocker - wiring dilemma.

In this application you often need the switch to be sprung back to the central "off" position. I have used them with electrically operated projection screens - it stops rolling when you release the switch. The terminals are "Common" - "L1" and "L2"

Reply to
John

My hall is switched from 4 positions. Therefore I have 2 x "two way switches and 2 x Intermediate switches.

The OP will find that when he buys a three-gang switch that each gang will be two-way (for simplicity of manufacture / stocking)

Reply to
John

That's poor design then, they should have limit switches so you can just flick them to up and not worry. I suppose its the elf getting in the way again.

Reply to
dennis

They have limit switches - but you don't always want the screen fully unwound. Limit switches are a back-up and not intended for constant use - also using a sprung-centre switch means that most of the circuit is isolated most of the time - unless being operated. Better practice.

Reply to
John

I do know the difference between gangs poles and ways its just if you google for 3 way lighting switching guess what you get? 2 way and intermediate circuits

Reply to
Kevin

Some US sites talk of 4 way as well.

I guess the terminology is almost acceptable as long as people realise it is the name of the type of circuit - and NOT the type of switch. I still think it is better to differentiate by saying - 3 LOCATION switching - or 4 LOCATION switching and leave the type of switch to someone who really knows.

Reply to
John