Replacing DG, ideas wanted

We're considering replacing at least soem of the double glazing that's starting to show its age. The concern is upstairs/bedroom windows.

What we want is units that can be cleaned from the inside only. No ladders, window cleaners, things on long poles, or people with very long arms. Just windows that have the ability to clean both the inside and outside surfaces of all the panes from inside the house.

The windows in question are 2.5m swide and 1.2m high. What would you specify?

Reply to
root

That's mandatory for windows above ground under Scottish regulations.

I have fake sashes that tilt, and if you press a latch you can carry on tilting them until they're inside-out.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sounds like a plan ... we'll move to scotland :) p.s. now many windows do you have _below_ ground?

Reply to
root

When did that come in to force as I have DG upstairs that only open out. Just recently moved into this house so DG was probably done a number of years back.

Reply to
SS

Excellent. Free prescriptions, free eye tests, free universities, and houses that are nearly affordable.

I don't have any, but houses with basements do :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I guess if you are moving you could just get two bungalows.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Crap neighbours..

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I think it would help here if we all stopped being silly and those in Scotland with said windows had a look to see who made the frames...

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My new aluminium windows, made by Smart Windows do this. Mind you I don't bother to clean them as I had Pilkington's self-cleaning glass put in on the outside. It didn't cost much extra. The glass never looks as clean as if you had cleaned it but it never really gets dirty. The only thing that does stick to it is spiders' webs.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

A google leads to mostly plastic window suppliers but the keyword is "reversible"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

my parents house, built in 1939, had hinges on the upstairs sashes, but I doubt if it was mandatory at the time.

Reply to
charles

Normal downstairs casement windows are hinged not at the edge - i.e. not where you have door hinges. That allows you to reach both sides of the glass when the window is open.

For upstairs windows the regs insist that they *are* hinged at the edge, to give the maximum size opening in case of emergency exit. But, those windows can be fitted (or maybe always are, I dunno) with a little catch you release which allows the fully open window to slide along, so again you can reach both sides to clean. When you close one of those, the window slides back along, the catch clicks and you're back to normal.

Go to a DG place and examine some to see what I mean.

Reply to
Tim Streater