Replacing dead TRV

Mike Clarke wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Can you compare it with another of the same make?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Just a quick update...

Bought a new TRV head and replaced the old one.

Everything now works as it should again!

many thanks for the tip.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Glad you got a match.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

How standard are they across manufacturers?

I've got some new Myson ones and some 30ish year old Honeywell ones (removed) they both have a 30mm thread with "octal" positioning grooves, and about 4mm of travel from min to max, but how much travel is there in the wax capsule?

The Honeywell ones have an internal threaded "calibration boss" around the pin, which presumably pre-loads the valve spring?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Did you just replace the head, or did you need to swap the wet bit as well?

Reply to
John Rumm

Looks like they're not even standard for a given manufacturer ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wrote in news:e9375oFl6ogU1 @mid.individual.net:

I wonder how much movement a couple of degrees temp gives?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Just the head with this one:

Took a chance with it. Worse case I was going to replace the lot.

Reply to
JoeJoe

But does it actually turn the radiator down in response to the room temp?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I often wonder about this. Mine are sensitive to such a small arc of a turn. Just fitting another head and not chacking is a waste of time. (I uses a stethoscope to listen for the flow rate changing when turning it to find the optimum setting i a warm room)

Reply to
DerbyBorn