Replacing chimney pot

One of the original four chimney pots was dislodged when the Earth moved and now leans a little. We have to something about it sooner rather than later and don't know whether it will be better to re-seat the old one or replace it with a stainless steel 'thing' which a few neighbours have used.

I prefer the former option.

a) are there efficiency advantages in replacing it with something else?

b) what are the stainless steel 'things' called?

c) do we need to consider anything else?

Getting up and doing the job is no problem.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Is the chimney in use? For solid fuel, oil or gas? Is there a liner inside the chimney? Does the liner terminate at the bottom of the pot or at the top? Do you ever have problems with backdraughts?

The stainless steel thing is called a terminal. Be aware that building regs has quite a lot to say on the subject.

Reply to
dom

cowls?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes.

Gas.

We intend inserting one when we do the chimney.

No. Nor damp.

Yes, I've just Googled and discovered that - it took some finding though so if I hadn't I'd have been grateful :-)

Where can we find them?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks, but no. They're terminals apparently :-)

Obvious, really ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What's the difference, more than just terminology?

Image searches for "flue terminal" and "flue cowl" bring up objects that look the same to me.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Was that deliberate? I like it anyway!

But don't know the answer.

I believe that cowls are designed to keep out weather in some way, they're usually directional or mobile. I think.

But terminals just sit there, terminally :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Fan assisted like a boiler or convection like a gas fire?

Ah - it might be a terminal when it's balanced flue (which your isn't), and cowl when it isn't.

Lots of good info here:

> Be aware that building

Here:

extensive reading

Reply to
dom

Convection.

Very useful, thanks a million. I'll peruse both later.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Cowls I assuem. Handy to stop smoke and birds coming down the wrong way.

Not in respect of the pot, no. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually no, I was just trying to make it clear I wasn't bing sarkie.

Several (but not all) of those that come us as a cowl *do* either spin round and round, or rotate to face downwind, but various definitions I've just seem to say they're for increasing draught, or preventing back draught, not that spinning is necessary.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is there a right way for birds?

Reply to
tinnews

I wondered that ...

However, panic over. He's just been on the roof and found that the flaunching is sound and the pots immovable. The one which looks as though it's at a different angle must always have been like that :-)

Or my eyes have deteriorated in the last few weeks ... :-(

Anyway, I've learned a lot and am grateful for everyone's input.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

snipped-for-privacy@n58g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

In this case the regs to comply with are the gas appliance instructions and/or BS 5440 (which have been made available for file sharing).

The flashy stainless rotating units are non-approved for use with a gas appliance IIRC.

If your gas fire is a functional rather than decorative unit then its efficiency is about 75% and altering the flue will make little difference (although some will make it potentially dangerous).

If your gas fire is a decorative unit then the most efficient setting is OFF, and likewise the flue is either compliant or not and not might be a "Bad Thing".

Reply to
Ed Sirett

We weren't thinking of a flashy rotating one - not our style.

The intention of inserting a liner was because we keep being told that it was a legal requirement. We wouldn't do it unless we had to do other work and we don't now.

A decorative gas fire??? That's not our style either :-)

Before anyone tells me what we should do in the way of room heating I'll explain that our dining and sitting rooms are only heated occasionally. The best way, we've found, is to us the gas fires (Gas Misers). We don't spend much time in those rooms, only for meals in one and very occasionally entertaining in the other. When there are other people there's rarely a need for other heating, our house is well insulated and warm.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

good, just make sure the new one complies with BS 5440.

For a general purpose flue, yes, for a gas appliance it will depend on what the manufacturers (of the gas miser) require.

OK.

Exactly, which is less 7kW to heat a room or 18kW to heat the whole house!

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The whole house is rarely heated. The ch thermostat is set at ten and the timer for 7.30 - 8.30 am. The boiler fires up only when it's VERY cold.

Most of the time we're moving around, when we're sitting (only for a short time and not every evening - no telly you see) we sometimes like a bit of extra warmth - from the fire.

We think our system is right - for us. Our gas bills seem to support that opinion.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher