Replacing CH Boiler .

At present I have a 25 year old Kingfisher CF60 floor standing boiler flued up a chimney and a single feed indirect Primatic cylinder with rads in all rooms using TRV's .The system is 22mm up to the hall with a manifold and 10mm after that ........I stay on the second floor of a block of flats 3 high .The boiler is situated in the kitchen . I remember years ago making enquiries about getting the boiler replaced and when discussing a combi boiler was told ( well it was by British G or Scottish G if you prefer ) that all the rads ,piping etc would need to be replaced as they would not be able to withstand the additional pressure from a ombi boiler .I recall finding that hard to believe at the time .

Would I be able to get the present boiler replaced utilising the present pipework/rads ,possibly with the new one being vented to an outside wall which is what most of the other residents seem to have. .This would let me block up the fireplace ..

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Yes of course you would but it may be advisable to have the system flushed out first (not powerflushed!!) and replace the radiator valves.

tarquinlinbin

The boilerChoice FAQ below may help a little.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I have similarly been advised by a boiler manufacturer not to try and pressurise an old system. (Worcester I think)

You should be able to find a suitable boiler which works with a balanced flue. You should avoid boilers that are described as 'system' or combination as both these use pressurised C/H systems.

You may want to consider a wall mounted boiler, which could be sited low down in the boiler alcove (if you happen to have one). Likely you will need to convert to a fully pumped system.

For boiler details see:

Michael Chare

Forget the bit where he twitters on about cylinders stating aPart L is fast recovery.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

There is no reason whatsoever not to provided that it has been properly maintained with inhibitor and was installed properly in the first place. It may be necessary and even prudent to replace radiator valves, however.

It is also misinformation on the part of BG/SG to suggest that a combi boiler equates to requiring radiator replacement.

This is not correct. There are room sealed boilers which have natural draught as opposed to fanned flue operation. In most cases, condensing boilers now have to be fitted, and these have fanned flues (AFAIK in all cases).

It is not true that system boilers require to operate in a pressurised CH environment. Most will work with open vented as well.

That is in effect a requirement now to comply with Building Regulations.

Reply to
Andy Hall