Replacing broken cisten cover

Accidentally cracked the top of the toilet cistern and would much appreciate advice on where I can get a replacement please. It came with the house so must now be 18 years old. However, it's marked 'Ideal Standard' which some initial googling shows is still alive and well. But before I start the 'phoning and the legwork could someone with know-how on these things give me a little basic advice please.

  1. My worst fear: am I going to be unable to get exactly same shape?

  1. It's a light pink. Not my choice but nothing to be done short of replacing entire bathroom, tiles included. Will I be able to match it OK? (Apart from one illustration, I could find nothing at all about colours anywhere within the Ideal Standard web site.)

  2. Can you get just the tops? I wouldn't like to have to replace the whole WC.

  1. Anyone have a contact number I can call who would take an order or tell me where to get one locally?

Any information gratefully received please.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Not much to go on (oh dear;-), but in the Luton free paper about

5 years ago, there was a guy who had started collecting old bathroom fittings for exactly this purpose, and had built up a warehouse full of them. Insurance companies were starting to use him in the case of people who chipped the basin and demanded a whole replacement suite on the insurance. Don't know if you can track him down based just on this, but that's all I can remember.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

|Accidentally cracked the top of the toilet cistern and would much |appreciate advice on where I can get a replacement please. It came |with the house so must now be 18 years old. However, it's marked |'Ideal Standard' which some initial googling shows is still alive and |well. But before I start the 'phoning and the legwork could someone |with know-how on these things give me a little basic advice please. | |1. My worst fear: am I going to be unable to get exactly same shape? | |2. It's a light pink. Not my choice but nothing to be done short of |replacing entire bathroom, tiles included. Will I be able to match it |OK? (Apart from one illustration, I could find nothing at all about |colours anywhere within the Ideal Standard web site.) | |3. Can you get just the tops? I wouldn't like to have to replace the |whole WC. | |4. Anyone have a contact number I can call who would take an order or |tell me where to get one locally? | |Any information gratefully received please.

Stick it together with epoxy

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Thanks both. Further research located a London-based company called H.M. James, 0208 477 1000. Much more expensive than I'd expected, presumably because it is a 're-glazed' unit (white original, re-glazed to 'Whisper Pink'). With delivery and VAT, £143.45 . But I've gone ahead anyway.

Araldited it meanwhile - but pretty ugly!

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

My daughter broke the cistern top in her rented house. Disgusting blue colour.

She had a wooden (pine) toilet seat & lid, so I made a wooden (pine) cistern lid to match. Lateral thinking?

Actually looks quite good :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Have a look in the Yellow Pages for salvage yards.... Treasure troves these places

Reply to
the_constructor

But will the landlord concur when she comes to move out and wants her deposit back? ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster