Replacing bath side panel

I wonder if anyone can help me locate a suitable replacement for my bath side panel please?

The present one must have come with the house, 20 years ago. It's made from a thin, springy plastic and is badly cracked and getting worse. A new bathroom is still a few years ahead, so I want to replace it. The colour is a very pale pink/peach, but I'd be happy enough to settle for plain white even though that wouldn't then match the toilet and hand basin.

The dimensions are obviously critical: I make it 167 cm long by 50 cm high. It curves out in the middle, but that's of no importance to me.

Unfortunately I can't see any maker or model name.

Any advice would be much appreciated please.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Search for 'white mdf bath panel' they come in different shapes and sizes and can be trimmed to size. I fitted one some years ago and it's been fine but I can't recall where I got it from, but not locally.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

FWIW and from this group I managed a T&G panel similar to one shown here:

Looks fine to my eye - or it will do when it's finished.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

Am I missing something here? Are these not the sort of thing you are after?

news

You can trim them to size with a Stanley knife

mike

mike wrote in news:e31d9193-fc6b-4773-8ed2- snipped-for-privacy@l9g2000yqp.googlegroups.com:

Wood or MDF is better. The plastic ones are so brittle - and whatever is the point of them bulging outwards into an already small bathroom? We broke ours when bathing the children and replaced it with a wooden one.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

You must be a rough family. Our have been in place since 1965, our own two children, various nephews and nieces and now our grandchildren have used the bath.

Reply to
charles

Nominal size is 1700 X 510, and the sizes aren't critical, they are easily cut with a decent jigsaw, but you'll find that the upper lip slots up into the edge of the bath 15mm, so don't be too greedy with the cutting...prices are from 16 upwards for a white one, search google shopping for bath panel, obviously disregard all the end panels and 'p' shaped panels.

I wouldn't worry about trying to colour match it, white will match something in there even if it's the cieling, woodwork, bath towels or window frame

Reply to
Phil L

No - not rough at all - the problem was the bulge! When my wife knelt at the side of the bath to reach in to deal with the children she inevitably pressed inwards on the stupid bulge. Eventually it cracked. A flat one is not only stronger - it is more pleasing to the eye that a bulbous shaped thing. (IMHO)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Thanks all, much appreciate those helpful replies. I've removed the old one and must now decide between plastic or wood. Wood appeals for its strength and flatness, but it's more expensive and I get the impression that it's possibly harder to trim to size. When I phoned about this one

I was advised that although it was easy to cut, it would then require sealing. Is that straightforward and what sealant is recommended pleased?

Would my old and little-used electric jigsaw be suitable for the cutting?

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Your old Jig saw wouldn't have a problem cutting it, but for a straighter cut I would use a hand saw, it's no effort with MDF this thin. To seal the cut edge just use any waterproof clear varnish.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Says it's green mdf, so why would it need sealing on the cut edges? IME that stuff is seriously waterproof

Reply to
stuart noble

Would these be 'moisture-resitent' MDF? If so, are they any better than ordinary MDF which rapidly turns into weetabix in a bathroom?

Reply to
Mark

My version here:-

Geo