Replacing a single radiator with a double one

I would like to replace a single radiator with one which gives a higher output, so the simpliest thing is to replace it with a double. However the pipes that feed the existing radiator will be very difficult to move.

My question is - where can I buy a double radiator with the tapping points in the equivalent place to a single, e.g. offset towards the back of the radiator?

I know that this type of radiator exists(ed), as I have an old Biasi catalogue, and they are in there. Looking at Biasi's

website today though they don't mention them. I asked in a local Plumb centre and basically got laughed at (that's the last time I use them). I know these things do exist, someone must stock them!

Or can anyone think of an alternative solution? Can you buy dog-legged connectors that would compensate?

Thanks,

Justin

Reply to
Justin Hughes

Does it *need* to be a double? If the existing radiator isn't finned, you can increase the heat output substantially by fitting a finned rad. Many of them come with L-section brackets which provide two optional wall to rad offsets - so you may find that your pipes are ok.

How old is the existing rad. If it's old enough to have imperial dimensions, you might find that today's metric rads are not quite the same size - so you might be faced with adjusting the pipework, anyway!

If you *do* fit a higher output rad, make sure that the existing pipes can carry the increased flow required.

Reply to
Set Square

If you use adjustable radiator valves you can use a less wide radiator, up to 100mm.

Reply to
StealthUK

Another option if you really can't alter or extend the existing 15mm pipes (assumed) is to reduce them to 10mm; run the 10 mm behind the radiator to the opposite end make a tight bend with a pipe bender and you should have plenty of leeway to connect to the valves ( inlets pointing up or backwards). The 10mm pipe is hidden from view and so the result can be reasonably neat.

Robert royall at which net

Reply to
look