Replacing a radiator with a smaller one

I need to replace a leaking downstairs radiator. I have a spare - it's taller, but narrower than the existing one. Is there some way I can fit the replacement without having to get involved with fixing extra copper tubing. I know you can get plastic push-fit piping. Would I be able to use something like this? There's also a TRV on the radiator. If this isn't something a novice can tackle, fair enough, I'll get a plumber to do the work.

Reply to
hicks

|I need to replace a leaking downstairs radiator. I have a spare - it's |taller, but narrower than the existing one. Is there some way I can fit |the replacement without having to get involved with fixing extra copper |tubing. I know you can get plastic push-fit piping. Would I be able to |use something like this? |There's also a TRV on the radiator. |If this isn't something a novice can tackle, fair enough, I'll get a |plumber to do the work.

IME Far easier to scout round the sheds and local plumbers merchants to find one the same size or at least the same width

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Plastic pushfit is big and ugly. Long runs of plastic pipe sag if not clipped too.

If you are never going to do another plumbing job in your life then get a plumber to do it. However, this is useful practice for future jobs. It's not difficult to solder copper fittings onto pipes, but you will need blow torch, solder, flux, steel wool and a pipe cutter. It's best to practice on some spare pipe and fittings first so you are confident to make a good joint.

Best of luck

Mark

Reply to
Mark

It's not a big difference in size. The new rad is about 4-6 inches narrower than the existing one.

Reply to
hicks

In that case, the old pipes will be about 2 to 3 inches out on each side. It may be possible to slightly bend the two pipes that run under the floorboards (assuming you have floorboards) by 2 to 3 inches and bring them up through two new holes to the replacement radiator. Or, it may be possible to bend one of the under-floor pipes 4 - 6 inches, bring that up through a new hole, and leave the other pipe where it is. You will need to lift a floorboard or two to see if this is feasible. Otherwise you will have to alter the pipe runs using either solder or compression joints, or buy a radiator that is the same width.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

You can buy radiator valve extension sockets. Some are telescopic but do not usually extend as far as you want. You can buy extensions in

25mm,50mm, 80mm & 100mm lengths. A combination of two of those should suit you and take up the difference you state. They screw into the rad threads one end and the other end fits the rad valve/valves.
Reply to
Bookworm

if the extentions dont work/fit then just hang the rad to one side and fit the pipework to the other side, if this would look a bit uneven, as in under a window, just hang the rad and repipe, it aint a big job but will need to drain the system

Reply to
Gav