Replacing a lock in a uPvc door.

I want to know how to replace a lock that is in a (unlocked) uPvc door.

The word Yale is on the lock, it is probably eleven years old, and from what can be seen of the lock whilst it is in the door, its shape looks like a standard Euro profile cylinder lock. It operates top-and-bottom shootbolts. Protruding from the door edge is a small triangular cam which engages on a striking plate on the door frame. When the door is closed, this triangular cam is depressed, releasing the door handle so it can be lifted upwards to position the shootbolts (the cam mechanism is very difficult to get to work at times).

However, there is no long screw at right angles to the lock, holding it in place, as might be expected with a current Euro profile cylinder. There is instead a hole in the door frame where the long screw, if there was one, would go through. At the bottom of this hole I can just make out parts of the lock which rotate as the door handle is rotated.

Can anyone identify this lock, and tell me if it can be replaced with a Euro profile cylinder, and how?

(I have asked Yale but so far have had no response.)

Reply to
Dee

Sounds a bit odd, having said that, a few years ago I came across a euro cylinder that had been fixed with the screw from inside the frame prior to the glass being installed. Good luck..

Reply to
Scabbydug

There is a correction I must make to my original post. When looking down the hole where a securing screw would be expected, if there was one, what is visible is the end of a cylindrical pin which does not move: there are no parts that rotate when the handle is rotated. The parts that rotate with the handle are visible through a different hole, and I got the two confused. Very sorry about that.

Dee.

Reply to
Dee

Scabbydug,

I think you may well have got the right answer. You will see from my correction to my original posting that what is in fact visible down the hole where one would expect a retaining screw is what I described as a pin. (Originally I had a very strong low sun in my eyes and I was looking down a different hole and saw something different.)

Now, only the end of this pin is visible, it is dark and difficult to see. But it looks as though it may have a screw thread on it. In which case it could be the end of a Euro profile cylinder retaining screw, it is the right diameter for such a screw.

So I think that it is highly likely that I have got a situation like the one you describe, where the lock has been fixed with a screw from inside the frame prior to the glass being installed. (Do you remember the name of the fabricator/installer? I wonder if it is the same one). Everything fits that explanation. What a thing to do! The very idea never occurred to me until your post, so thank you for that. But I do not fancy trying to remove and replace glazing beads - it can be a real struggle. The original installers cracked some glass in their struggle, and had to replace it. The problems one has to deal with!

Regards, and many thanks for your post,

Dee.

Reply to
Dee

Don't know, I was asked to replace the cylinder by a customer. I gave him the name of a local double glazing company and left him to get on with it.

Reply to
Scabbydug

Ok. Thanks

Reply to