Replacing a Fortic cylinder

I need to replace a Fortic cylinder that has 2 immersion heaters (there is no boiler). This is in my Mother's 1 bedroom small flat. I want to use an unvented cylinder with power from an off-peak supply. There is no gas in the flat, and just bath, basin and kitchen sink need to be supplied. I have good experience of a 'Hotflo' feeding a single basin, but need something bigger.

Any ideas on what capacity and manufacturer please? She does not use a lot of hot water.

Reply to
Rog

Dimplex SCx range unvented cylinders, or equivalent.

Dimplex suggest for 1 bed / 1 bath property a 130 l cylinder for direct (ie electric) heating and this is the smallest size that has 2 heaters.

Brochure downloadable from dimplex.co.uk

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Just buy the biggest she can fit in the space (within reason) if she has Economy 7. Then she'll never have to use peak rate boost.

I doubt, however, it is worth going over 200 litres, if you say she doesn't use a lot. You could get away with a lot smaller if there wasn't the space, although a 130 litre will only supply one bath and washing up water before needing peak boost.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Remember that unvented is notifiable. If you're DIY-ing a thermal store is probably a better bet.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Thanks for the help - this is my first time on uk.d-i-y.

I was planning to DIY the replacement -- but excuse my ignorance - what is meant byy notifiable?

Reply to
Rog

Installation of an unvented HW cylinder comes under part G of the Building Regulations. This is concerned with hygiene and in this case with safety. The requirement is that such a cylinder be installed by a qualified plumber or heating engineer with acreditation for installation of sealed cylinders. It is also a requirement for them to be serviced annually. In other words this is not a DIY job

However, the part G requirement only applies if the volume of water stored under pressure exceeds a certain limit (45 litres I believe). Thermal stores can have the bulk of the water in the cylinder open vented and avoid the volume rule. In that scenario, only the heating circuit (which heats the cylinder through a coil) and the mains water being heated re under pressure and the rules don't then apply. You can also have a direct thermal store where there is no coil and the heating and cylinder water are open vented. These can be a DIY job

There is a further Building Regulation, Part L which has to do with energy conservation. This applies to all cylinders and heating systems. A professional fitter such as plumber/heating engineer (above) or CORGI person can self certify such installations. If you DIY, you can apply to the local authority for a Building Notice to notify the work to them. In all probability, they will collect your money and file the paperwork and you won't hear from them again.

Reply to
Andy Hall

replying to Rog, Nicholas Beardshall wrote: It's been 11 years. Any update?

Reply to
Nicholas Beardshall